Unabled to rename or delete Test Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unabled to rename or delete Test Case

I keep getting the error below when I try to rename or delete a test case. I have nothing open. I open testlog, try to rename and it gives this error. Any help?

There are three main situations that could prevent a rename/delete of a file;

1. The file is locked. This should be visible in TestLog as a locked icon appearing next to the test case name. You can also try unlocking all file by right clicking on a test suite or the top level "Test Cases" or "Project Test Cases" folder and choosing the "Unlock all files" option.
    2. The underlying disk/operating system permissions are preventing that action. You can check this by going to the location of the file in Windows Explorer and trying to delete the file off the disk.
    3. If the filename or overall file path will exceed the windows limit (or it has already exceeded the limit) then the rename or delete will fail.

Comment

1. The test case does not have the "locked" icon.

2. I was able to delete the directory from windows explorer, but this does not help because I want to copy a test case and then rename it to a new version. Renaming within TestLog still gives the error. Renaming the directory outside testlog, ie windows explorer, causes real problems with testlog.

3. The file name or path is not too long, I tested that as well.

So, none of the options worked. Any other ideas?
      Thanks.

Comment

Could you please post the exact error message you see when you try to delete a test case (or send us a screenshot), there should be more information about the error or an error code displayed as part of the message.

Comment

Comment

Is the image showing up?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	34868
              here is the error message

Comment

Sorry. This is the error message.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	34869

Comment

Thanks for that, this error message indicates that in the folder you are trying to delete there are files marked as open for editing in TestLog, these are represented on disk as .lck files.

If you have right clicked on the folder you are deleting and used the "unlock all files option" and still see this error message then there may be a permission issue stopping the .lck file from being deleted (which would require deletion of the file by an admin user on the system).

You could also try navigating to the location on disk in windows explorer (the C:\Projects5\Security\....\copy of 002.... location in the first screenshot) and deleting the contents of this folder (not the folder itself) manually before deleting the test suite in TestLog so it cleans up the related files.

It's on our list of requested features for the next version to allow a forced override at this stage to delete the folder regardless of any locked files (though this won't help if there is a permission problem preventing the file deletion).

Comment

Working...
                  X