Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Case - Requirements Launch Button

Hello Tim,

I have build an automated framework which is able to automatically schedule test cases and run jobs.
    Now I'm looking for a button in the Test Case Dialog to actually run a test.
    My first thought was to use the Requirements "Launch" button which appears in the Test Case Summary Dialog.
    If I enter e.g. a script "runtest.bat" in the Requirements line and press the "Launch" button, the batch script is executed in a cmd shell.
    So far this works fine.
    Now (to really execute my test) I still need to know from which Test Case in my Database the "Launch" button was actually pressed. A unique identifier would be the complete path to the Test Case file (c:\TestLogDB\Projects\myProject\Project Test Cases\testsuite1\testsuite2\myTestId.tlg)
    Now my question: is it possible to transport this path to the program or script that is started by the Launch button (maybe via environment variables or registry entries)?

Kind regards,

Christian

Associated with the requirements launch button, there is the Requirements Path field (in the options window) and the Requirements ID field (which is per test case).

The requirements Path field can be a path to an external tool or web service for your requirements management tool. But you could also potentially use it for other reasons (as you describe). If it is a link to a website it will append the contents of the text case requirements field to the address. If it is an executable program it will open the program and pass the contents of the requirements field as a parameter. If this field is left blank the requirements field will be treated as a path to a document and attempt to open the document in the program the document type is associated with.

So Testlog can't automatically pass the path (as you are requesting) but it can pass a requirements ID, which you might be able to use as part of your script.

Comment

Hello,

thanks for the explanation. This helps a lot.
      So in my case I would have to enter the path to the current Test Case into the Requirements field manually.
      My hope was that there exists a placeholder within the Test Case dialog like "%THIS_FILE%" or sth like this. Then I could always put the constant value %THIS_FILE% into the requirements filed and TestLog would automatically evaluate this to the current TestCase file name.
      Does this make sense to you. This approach would be a very convenient way to communicate Test Case related information to an external program. I think this could be usefull for others as well.
      What do you think?

Christian

Comment

So what do you actually think about the proposal I made in the previous post? I think it could be a handy thing for many TestLog users.

Christian

Comment

A reasonable request and it isn't so complex to implement. We'll add it to the 'to-do' list, but when it actually gets done depends on other priorities.

Comment

Thanks a lot. That sounds good. I'll watch the next releases

Christian

Comment

This would be a great feature

I'll bump this up as well.

I would love a Start or Launch button that I could use to kick off my automation (either by CMD line or by browsing to an executable).

The automation I use allows me to execute from a command line and I can pass variables in from there.

While I could use the one that exists now (I think), I am using that to enter bugs into the defect tracking system... so I have to choose between one or the other.

Comment

We'll keep a launch option in mind however you could already do a similar thing with the external description and results link fields. You can also run a script/executable by using file:// links in a test case.

Also, %TESTCASE_PATH% was added to the requirements field in case it wasn't noticed in the previous releases. See the help file for Test Cases - > Requirements for more info.

Comment

Working...
                X