Acquiring Network address issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquiring Network address issue

Have a fully operational LAN and wireless network. After installing the network monitor program I am having much difficulty getting this program to complete the access to my network. I have a wireless modem and a wireless router and both react the same.
    I have WPA security and no broadcast SSID as my security. If I load the program it finds both access points. I click on either one, enter the SSID and security information and it immediately connects to the modem or router. Then it just sets there trying to acquire a network address. If I close out the program and go back to windows XP Pro then everything connects back up and a network address is there immediately.
    What do you suggest might be the problem?
    Oh by the way I just purchased this product so this is my first attempt in using it.....

Richard

If it has connected and isn't issuing an IP this is likely to be the authorisation failing for some reason, are you using the right security settings? If you connect to the network some other way, such as through the windows connection manager and then try connecting through WirelessMon do you get an IP?

Comment

Tim,
      Yes, if I connect using the windows connection manager then bring up the monitor programs everything works just fine. The logging shows a valid IP address and the correct DHCP address of the router. If I then disconnect using the monitor program and attempt to reconnect the same problem exists, eg. It connects immediately but cannot get an IP address from the router.
      Here maybe the problem: When using the windows connection manager I setup for WPA-PSK and TKIP for the encryption. If I use the monitor program the only choices are WPA or WPA2. I always select WPA as it is the only one that makes the connection. So would the WPA-PSK TKIP versus the WPA TKIP be the cause? If not, next idea?

Richard

Comment

We'll look into this a bit more and get back to you.

Comment

Tim,
          Just an update.
          If I disable security on the wireless router then the monitor program works just fine. I can connect and disconnect and it always gets a network address. So again, it appears the problem is due to the difference in security in the monitor program and the routers. The WPA vs WPA-PSK may still be the issue.
          Richard

Comment

Working...
          X