WirelessMon and WinXP's wireless zero service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WirelessMon and WinXP's wireless zero service

Great tool, we were using it to perform some site surveys and connection confirmation trials after switching over our ABG network to ABGN last week.

One issue, however - with WirelessMon running on the primary wifi network card (Intel 4965AG and 5100AGN), we found that roaming from one AP to another wouldn't work ... soon as one left the APs range, the connection would just drop. You'd then have to shut down wireless mon, whereupon the laptop would reconnect after a minute or so.

Later, we realized this was because WinXP's wireless zero config service was being stopped by wirelessmon when the latter ran!

Is there a way to run WirelessMon in conjunction with XP's wifi zero config service? Looked through the settings, but I didn't find anything - I'm hoping there is a way, though, because without this the tool is only of limited use to us, for doing spotchecks here and there of connection (i.e., start app, kill it, move on, restart app, etc).

Thanks!

(edit: oops, sorry for the thumbs down! looked kinda like a ? when I selected it, but just realized it's not - sorry, not spoiling to diss your product, it's a great util!)

Due to the way the network service works in XP, the zero config service and WirelessMon can't run at the same time, as access to the network card can only be granted to one process and currently WirelessMon isn't setup to configure roaming between networks.

Comment

Working...
    X