No announcement yet.

Does WirelessMon work on Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One is Enterprise, the other is Ultimate. Both are 32bit versions.

Comment

After some investigation we believe the problem is related to the new NDIS version 6 in Vista and the fact that not all manufacturers have released compatible drivers yet.

We have a Dell laptop with an Intel 2200BG running Vista Business that displays the same symptoms, no list of APs in WirelessMon (and subsequently fails when querying the list of SSIDs with error 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning) but there is a list in the Windows connection manager. Querying Intel's support pages reveal their plans to release an NDIS 6 driver "anticipated availability Late Q4’06" however there doesn't seem to be any available just yet. Installing the latest available driver allows the card to be recognised work within Vista but not with any programs that use NDIS.

However, we also have a DLink SWL-502+ PCI wireless card, running in Vista Ultimate, that works fine though the latest driver does not mention Vista compatibility.
      Last edited by Tim (PassMark); Jan-29-2007, 03:33 AM.

Comment

RE: Does WirelessMon work on Vista

I have a similar issue to bertle's problem. In my case, I ran the wirelessmon2.0.1009-c.exe build and it automatically turns the WLAN Autoconfig service off and I can see my wireless card listed as one of the network cards (Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card) on the wirelessmon display. Unfortunately, everything shows as NA and no access points are detected. I try to connect anyway using my SSID and authentication, but no joy. I tried disabing WLAN Autoconfig just to make sure, but the same problem occurred. If it's not a Vista issue, perhaps it's a problem with the Dell card or maybe it doesn't like my old Linksys Wireless G.
        Here's my sys info.

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (OEM)
        Manufacturer Dell Inc.
        Product Name MP061 (Inspiron E1705)

Comment

We have found a workaround that works for some cards, installing an older XP driver instead of using the Windows Vista supplied one enables somes cards to work with WirelessMon.

For a DLink and Linksys card reverting back to an older driver works, however lintel cards (2200BG) still seem to show no changes when reverting back to an older driver.

Comment

We have been doing some additional testing in Vista and believe we have a solution that should allow us to release a new version soon where cards that were not displaying the list of access points should now work as expected.

This new solution should allow at least equivalent functionality in Vista as in XP.

We would expect to have this solution available within the next 2 weeks or so (~ 20/Mar/07).

Comment

There is a beta build available for use with Vista, http://www.passmark.com/ftp/wireless...011d-vista.exe. You should now be able to see available networks and connect to open access points, as yet we have been unable to connect to any access points using security.

Comment

Vista ultimate 64 bit and beta

I too was having problems with WirelessMon and Vista Ultimate 64 bit. On launch wirelessmon would disable my intel a/b/g card, with no signals being shown.

Your 'beta' version works better - the card is not disabled and I'm showing signal strenghts. Under the IP connection tab not all info is displayed though, Im missing the left col. showing MAC address info etc. but it's a great start!

Thanks

Comment

Just wantet to let you know that this version: http://www.passmark.com/ftp/wireless...011d-vista.exe works on:
                  Windows Vista Enterprice, on a
                  Dell M90 Precision
                  Intel Pro 3945ABG network adp.

And THX

Comment

Same from me too, the version: 2.1011d-vista works on:
                    Windows Vista Business,
                    on my ASUS A8Js with Intel Pro 3945ABG network adp.

Comment

There is a new build at www.passmark.com/ftp/wirelessmon-vista-2.exe, now when connecting to a access point using security you will not need to enter a security passphrase / key in the connection dialog, you will be prompted to enter the key (via a prompt from Vista originating from the system tray) when connecting. You will still need to select the authentication and encryption methods used in the connection dialog.

Comment

New Download

I installed the version above. i do now see all the features, but it seems a little 'slugish' (comared to prev beta veraion) when moving from tab to tab and closing. But - could be just me and my config. Bottom line: seems to work.

HW: HP dv900t
                        Wireless; intel a/b/g

Comment

I have the same "sluggish" problem as the above, to the point of unusability. Basically it seems like while the information is refreshing, there's no response from the app at all -- nothing will happen for 5 or 6 seconds, then things will update and my mouse clicks go through, then nothing for 5 or 6 more seconds. Makes things very difficult to actually work with.

Using Vista Business w/ an on-board Altheon card on my ST5112 tablet.

-jay

Comment

It seems the Vista drivers are taking longer to respond than they did in XP, so the sample rate can't be as fast as well as preventing the user interface from updating. We are looking into making some changes so the slower responses from the network card no longer impact the UI.

Comment

I'll be happy to help test it when it's ready!

-jay

Comment

There is a new beta build of WirelessMon available from http://www.passmark.com/ftp/wirelessmon2.0.1013a.exe. The user interface should not appear as sluggish in vista when information is read from the network card during the sample period.

Comment

Working...
                                X