Computer Reboots while running tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Reboots while running tests

Computer is a Dell XPS purchased in August, with Vista 32 bit. My son had repeated reboots while using it, but only after hours of use.

I purchased Burnin Test to simplify the testing, as we have been working with Dell support for about 2 months trying to fix the problem.

I am running now with logs enabled.

After a reboot, Vista reports that there was a problem, and the advanced information implicates the HD system. However if I pull the sound card, the system appears to be stable.

So far dell has replaced the sound card x 3, the video card, the memory and the motherboard.

The tests I am running are the CPU, disk, 2D and 3D display, and sound card - running simultaneously. I am not able to test the ram with the other above or I get a memory allocation error, as noted other places on the forum. I am running the latest version of Burnin, not the new beta.

If I believe Burnin test, then replacing the motherboard and sound card today did not fix the problem. The HD and cable are about all that is left to replace.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ross

I am new to the burnIn world so I dont know how much help I can be but have you tried running burnIn on just the Hard drive? Taking everything else out of the mix. You could also trying running Check Disk in windows. Not 100% positive with vista but but with Xp just go to start --> run --> type in Chkdsk.

Edit above: it is chkdsk you can find details here for vista.
    http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid192_gci1276029,00.html

Now you say that if you pull the sound card the system appears to be stable. Does this mean when you pull the sound card burnIn runs fine with out any problems? or does it still flag a hard drive problem?

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Vista reports that there was a problem, and the advanced information implicates the HD system
      What exactly was the message?

Using BurnInTest how long does it take to provoke the reboot? Does it alway happen after roughly the same amount of time, or is it random? Is there any message before the reboot. e.g. a blue screen with some numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
        What exactly was the message?

Using BurnInTest how long does it take to provoke the reboot? Does it alway happen after roughly the same amount of time, or is it random? Is there any message before the reboot. e.g. a blue screen with some numbers?
        I have seen a similar problem where BurnIn Test 5.3 locks when testing Vista or Windows 2008 Server after about 2 hours. Do we need to upgrade to have this run reliably on Vista and 2008 Server? I don't have the exact error message but I will restart the test and let you know. However, if you know I need to upgrade, please let me know.

Thanks!

Comment

We fully support Vista. So there is no need to upgrade just becuase of Vista (and at the moment there is no later version to upgrade to, but we'll have V6 available soon).

You need to distinguish between the situation where the entire PC locks up and / or reboots, and the situation where just the BurnInTestnTest software locks up.

Also the initial post was regarding a PC that would reboot during typical usage (without using the BurnInTest software). And this is most likely a hardware or device driver issue. If your PC isn't showing the same symptoms, then it is probably a different issue.

Update: I just got the screen shots you sent. This would seem to be a totally dfferent issue from the initial post. Also it seems from the screen shot you sent that you are using a version of BurnInTest that is over a year old. Can you upgrade to the current release patch release (a free upgrade) and try again. See also,http://www.passmark.com/products/bit_history.htm

Comment

Working...
          X