Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootable USB (UFD) - Network & Usb :)

Hey Passmark.

We just invested in a UDF and considered to utelize this for a newly started test line.

But I did not notice this url http://www.passmark.com/products/bit_editions.htm

My mistake of course, But to my understanding I should be able to test network.

Normaly I use the advanced test to make sure I get 100% validation of the hardware, I dont like to test via loopback ip.
    I dont know if it is the specific machine having some problems since I cant select the physical network card manualy.

If I try and use the standard test and give the adapter an ip adress to use for it self, I get a "time out whil ewaiting for packet".

Giving it an Ip adress for the machine running endpoint.exe doesent work either.

If I then use the dropdown menu to select ethernet, burnintest is able to validate and identify the network card, but still I cant get anything working except local standard test.

The local 127.0.0.1 standard test only works if I dont specify ethernet, but when I specify ethernet it is able to detect the network card.

USB:I read support migth be added if users request it, I would like to then

We are about to buy even more usb 2.0 loopbacks, we need 20-40 more ,but it is even more apealing if we can use it without having to deploy an os for each motherboard

The standard network test will work to the internal loopback. It may work to an external IP address if you have the right network card device driver installed.

Did you purchase the Bootable USB Flash drive product (http://www.passmark.com/products/boo...lash-drive.htm) or did you build your own Bootable UFD?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
      The standard network test will work to the internal loopback. It may work to an external IP address if you have the right network card device driver installed.

Did you purchase the Bootable USB Flash drive product (http://www.passmark.com/products/boo...lash-drive.htm) or did you build your own Bootable UFD?
      Yes I purchased it

I can accualy install drivers on the UFD ?

Comment

For the advanced user, yes. You basically need to unpack the WinPE image on the USB flash drive, add the drivers and repack the image using the Microsoft WinPE tools.

You will need the Microsoft WinPE toolkit. The environment we have tested with uses the Microsoft WAIK DVD image, 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso, available from:
        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

The process to add drivers to the WinPE image is as follows:

1. Make a copy of the WinPE image to work with. For example, if your WinPE image is on a UFD, copy the contents of the UFD to c:\pctk
        2. Create a directory to mount the image into, e.g. c:\pctk\mount (this must be an empty directory).
        3. Copy your driver files (*.inf, *.sys, *.cat etc) to a temporary directory, e.g. copy the 32-bit Passmark USB 2.0 Loopback drivers to c:\pctk\drivers.
        4. Check if your image file (.wim) has more than 1 image in it.
        imagex /info c:\pctk\sources\boot.wim

…
        <IMAGE INDEX="1">
        …

5. Mount the WinPE image from the .wim file (extract the base image to a local directory)
        imagex /mountrw c:\pctk\sources\boot.wim 1 c:\pctk\mount

6. Install an INF package (typically a driver) to a Windows PE image.
        peimg /inf=c:\pctk\drivers\*.inf /image=c:\pctk\mount

Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows
        Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Installing INF package: c:\pctk\drivers\PMUSB2.inf

PEIMG completed the operation successfully.

7. Save the changes (create a WinPE image from the local directory)
        imagex /unmount c:\pctk\mount /commit

8. Follow steps 9 and 10 in the “Building a Preinstall Environment” to create a bootable CD/DVD or UFD. This is meant to be read in conjuction with our documentation (which we will update shortly):
        http://passmark.com/ftp/BIT_WinPE_v1.1.pdf

I should add that I can't guarantee that your specific hardware will work, as the changes required may be more than just adding drivers. For example, just adding graphcis card devices drivers won't allow the 3D test to run as it also needs DirectX (as such we don't support all tests under WinPE).

We have tested this driver installation process with our USB 2.0 Loopback plugs and it works.

Comment

We have just released an update to the WinPE document to describe how to:
          - Test USB 2.0 ports with PassMark USB 2.0 Loopback plugs;
          - Test serial ports;
          - Test parallel ports;
          - Update existing WinPE images with new device drivers for updated hardware.

The new document is available here:
          http://www.passmark.com/ftp/BIT_WinPE_v1.2.pdf

Comment

Now I just need acces to this
            I find it a bit funny that I have to use restricted software from Microsoft to do this.

Maybe you should write that into the PDF so others dont waste their time googling and trying to find a way to get a hold of the OPK.

You have to be a Microsoft OEM partner to gain acces to this software.

I migth be able to, but frustrating anyway

Microsoft OEM Preinstall Kit (OPK) can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/OPK/default.mspx
            or
            http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=501924

Comment

I tried to use the win 7 Oem Preinstallation kit version 6.1.7600.16385.

But it did not accept the Peimg command.

I read the PDF and to my understanding I needed to install both the OPK and WAIK tool - That was not possible.

Im trying to use the "6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso" instead.

Code:

C:\Program Files\Windows OPK\Tools\PETools>peimg /inf=c:\pctk\drivers\pmusb2.inf
               /image=c:\pctk\mount
              'peimg' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
              operable program or batch file.

Comment

You need the OPK or the WAIK. We have tested with
                Windows PE 2.x using the WAIK, not 3.0 (Windows 7).

To download the WAIK noted in my earlier post, you don't need to be a Microsoft OEM. The environment we have tested with uses the Microsoft WAIK DVD image, 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso, available from:
                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

As you say, you do need to be an OEM to get the OPK (OEM Pre-intall Kit). We will update our document to make this clearer. Sorry if you wasted time because of this.

If you have the peimg problem with WinPE 2.x, e.g. "6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso" please let me know.
                Last edited by Ian (PassMark); May-18-2010, 11:37 PM. Reason: link updated

Comment

One of our users has let me know that there are no functional differences in using WinPE v2.x and WinPE v3.0 x86 for BurnInTest Pro.

That post is here:
                  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1439...ost__p__924290

Note, however, that in WinPE 3.0, there are different steps to create the WinPE itself, as well as inject drivers. DISM has replaced PEIMG in the new WAIK for Windows 7. An example of making a 64bit WinPE can be found here:
                  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1380...-pe-30-x64x86/

If making x86 winpe, you just use x86 instead of amd64.

We have not yet tested with WinPE 3.0 and will update our documentation when we have tested the process.

Comment

I cant seam to get this working.

1. I cant get a new USB stick working, detection of it as a bootable media does not work.

1.1 If I use my self created .wim image and overwrite the file on my passmark UFD I can boot on it. Will try again today.

2. Im not sure about how the UFD will detect/determain if it is a 32 or 64 bit system? Is this all about enabling/disabling the 64 Bit settings in bios ?

3. I tried to get the USB driver installed, but could not figure out if how to or if I needed to install the chipset driver in order to get USB working.

3.1 Does my drivers need to be specific for win PE ?
                    My lan driver is a .exe file, and In the old days we could aways unpack them. Not easy now - EDIT I could do it with 7-zip
                    Winrar og Winzip did not want to work.
                    http://www.7-zip.org/

Comment

Reading the PDF and trying once more.

Im at point
                      4. Install the required device drivers
                      Install the NIC and Mass Storage drivers that you need.
                      peimg /inf:c:\bitpe\drivers\nic\*.inf c:\bitpe\mount\windows
                      peimg /inf:c:\bitpe\drivers\hddc\*.inf c:\bitpe\mount\windows
                      What is my hddc mass storage driver ?
                      I take it that this is the southbridge driver ?

Im trying to make the UDF for a KT965
                      http://de.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+motherboards/flexatx++microatx+motherboards/kt965flex.html
                      For me this is Intel 965 chipset & ICH8DO southBridge.

Im not what drivers I need from the chipset package.

Comment

1. I cant get a new USB stick working, detection of it as a bootable media does not work.

1.1 If I use my self created .wim image and overwrite the file on my passmark UFD I can boot on it. Will try again today.
                        To be bootable the UFD needs to be formatted as described in our WinPE document 10b. To make a bootable USB Flash Drive (UFD) and the Windows Image (.WIM) needs to be valid. As the PassMark bootable UFD works (which is formatted as per 10b) I assume you new UFD is not formatted to be bootable.

2. Im not sure about how the UFD will detect/determain if it is a 32 or 64 bit system? Is this all about enabling/disabling the 64 Bit settings in bios ?
                        It doesn't. You would need to build seperate 32-bit or 64-bit Windows images. The PassMark bootable UFD is 32-bit.

3. I tried to get the USB driver installed, but could not figure out if how to or if I needed to install the chipset driver in order to get USB working.
                        Based on the tested I did with the PassMark bootable UFD, you only need to add the PassMark USB 2.0 Loopback plug device drivers. The USB subsystem drivers are included in WinPE 2.1 (and I assume WinPE 3.x).

3.1 Does my drivers need to be specific for win PE ?
                        My lan driver is a .exe file, and In the old days we could aways unpack them. Not easy now - EDIT I could do it with 7-zip
                        Winrar og Winzip did not want to work.
                        http://www.7-zip.org/
                        Not specific to WinPE, but the drivers need to be specific to the version of Windows you are building. For example if you use WinPE 2.1 (Vista) with a 32-bit build (step 1 in the document 1. Create the base PE source), then your drivers need to be for 32-bit Vista.

What is my hddc mass storage driver ?
                        I take it that this is the southbridge driver ?

Im trying to make the UDF for a KT965
                        For me this is Intel 965 chipset & ICH8DO southBridge.

Im not what drivers I need from the chipset package.
                        In all of my testing the only drivers I needed to add to the Windows image were so I could test specific hardware, specifically PassMark USB 2.0 Loopback drivers. Described in section 4. Install the required device drivers.
                        A customer actually provided the documentation for installing specific Hard Disk controller drivers, I don't know which drivers they were - I didn't need to add any HDD controller drivers. You may not need to either - I would first test without adding these types of drivers.

Also, I had to install the drivers for serial port and parallel ports. Described in section 6. Automate the launching of BIT.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thx mate.

Got it working now.
                          Testing Lan and usb, lan is a bit different in win Pe, but just entering the DNS name of the machine I want to test against works.

My problems so far:
                          • Vista32 drivers for Win Pe 2.1 - I dident know they where what I should use.
                          • Did not format the USB disk correctly.
                          • Was not clever enough to figure out the start.cmd and winpish.ini could be found on the harddrive after mounting the boot.wim image from the Passmark UFD.
                          • Boards are defaulte USB 1.1 = Monster slow boot time.
                          Used the UFD, untill everything is ready,
                          Then I will figure out what was wrong.

Questions:
                          If I can include audio drivers and intel GFX drivers.
                          Can I then test 2D/3D and Audio ?

Props
                          I would like to extend my apresiation for your great service.
                          Passmark and especialy you IAN has always treated me like the nr 1 customer. You guys BLOODY ROCK

And Im a Vbulletin Ninja, so when ever you decide to upgrade to 3.8.5 or 4.0.3 please let me know...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know how to get support for audio and 2D/3D graphics in WinPE. One of our customers indicated they were looking at a bootable version Windows embedded to try and get the graphics working so these could be tested.

I think this support will have to sit on my TO DO list for a bit longer. If any BurnInTest users have this working with WinPE, please let us know.

Comment

Just tried to make a .iso file so I can deploy it via PXE.

Im trying to do this on a Windows XP machine,

Is this why I cant get the .iso cdrom to load ?
                              "Bootmgr is missing" and I get no where

Damm if only I had more sleep

CDBOOT: Couldnīt find BOOTMGR
                              I used this command to make the .iso and I copied the modified .wim from my UFD where it works fine.

I take it this is because the boot manager is looking for the UFD and not a cdrom drive ?

oscdimg -n -h -bc:\pctk\boot\etfsboot.com c:\pctk\iso c:\pctk.iso
                              Last edited by Nosfer@tu; Jun-03-2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X