USB 3.0 Loopback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.0 Loopback?

We have a new requirement to test systems with USB 3.0 ports. Does Passmark have plans to offer a loopback device for USB 3.0?

We do plan to develop a USB 3.0 Loopback device. Our preference is to use our current USB 2.0 IC chip supplier (Cypress) for USB 3.0 and they have not released a USB 3.0 chip. Once they do it will probably take us 4-6 months to produce the device. This time last year I would have thought we would have already developed a USB 3.0 loopback plug by now. But USB3 has been pretty slow across the entire industry. (Intel still don't support it on their motherboards).

Given the slow pace of Cypress (who claim they are "Market leader") we have looked at other chip manufacturers, like NEC. But there is no suitable chip on the market to build a device today. The best information we at the moment is that there will be suitable development samples chips in the next few months, with mass producing coming later.

(As a side note, there are suitable chips for USB3 host controllers, and USB3 to SATA bridging for external hard drives, but no general purpose USB3 chips with embedded micro controllers. We also looked a FPGA as a possible solution. Using FPGAs might have worked, but it would have been a very expensive solution, and redundant in a few months).

So it will happen as soon there are parts available on the market. I'll update this post with progress as we go along the path to developing a solution.

Comment

Still no words on USB 3.0 loopback device?

Comment

We are working on it.
        Cypress have announced a beta hardware development kit during the last week. We are checking to see if we get our hands on one.

Comment

Any update on USB 3.0 loopback?

Comment

Cypress stated they have "production problems" during the last week and final silicon will be delayed. Which means it might be the new year now before parts are available.

Comment

Good to hear there is progress. Will check back for updates. Thanks for your great products!

Comment

I only wish there had been more progress.

They put out a press release 6 months ago about the availability of their EZ-USB FX3 USB3 part.
                http://www.cypress.com/?rID=50135
                "....full production quantities are expected in September of 2011".
                But they seem to be running months behind.

Comment

Any status on USB 3.0 loopbacks? We'll probably buy thousands of them.

Comment

The USB 3.0 chip we plan to use went into production last week, so if all goes well hopefully we should have a USB 3.0 loopback plug around the middle of the year.

Comment

Still on track for 'middle of the year' on this? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by estelzer View Post
                        Still on track for 'middle of the year' on this? Thanks!
                        There have been delays and it is now looking more likely towards the end of the year.

Comment

Hi,
                          It is in the middle of the year of 2012. Are there any news from the USB 3.0 Passmark?

BR Andreas

Comment

As noted above a few days back, there have been delays and it is now looking more likely towards the end of the year.

We have some prototype firmware running now on a USB3 microcontroller. So we can do some basic looping of data and benchmarking. But there is much more to be done before it is a commercial product.

Comment

I am extremely interested in USB 3.0 loopbacks as well. I need them like...oh next week...LOL! Have you made any progress? I don't know about thousands...but I'm sure I could use 100.

Comment

Working...
                              X