Advanced Network Test Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Network Test Errors

It has been quite some time since I've used Passmark, but I always the advanced network tests to be fairly unstable. I have two servers connected back to back, each with 4 NICs - they are identical systems and use a mix of 100G, 25G and 10G adapters. I see a few errors on several ports immediately after starting the tests:

Advanced Network Send Error
    NIC connection reset by peer.

The test eventually kicks off but is there a reason for this? Is this avoidable? Also, the Endpoint.exe included with the latest v10 BIT shows 2012 in the about section. I assume this is the latest as it came with the install and I do not see a place to download.

The endpoint isn't designed to access all the network cards on a system so given the mix of network cards it's possible the endpoint could be using the 10G adapter and trying to field connections from the 100G / 25G which could be overloading it. Have you tried disabling all but the 100G connections on the endpoint system?

Also, the Endpoint.exe included with the latest v10 BIT shows 2012 in the about section
    We'll fix this up for the next release.

Comment

I can test individual NICs but the goal is to test them all at the same time. Even better would be the option to loop traffic between ports on the same system, vs having a second setup running the Endpoint app.

Comment

Hello Tim,
        I have this endpoint issue as well. Each computer that I need to test has 5 network ports. I would like to test 4-5 computers at a time. I setup an endpoint computer that is exactly the same as the computers that need to be tested. If I connect all 5 ports to each computer together, I get many errors. It doesn't matter if its full or half duplex, the lowest settings and no difference between v4, IP nor ethernet port advanced tests. So far, I can only test 2 of the 5 ports at a time. Which just does not work. This is only with one computer under test.
        Has there been any work done on a new release of the endpoint.exe? I have looked into the Pi endpoint solution. I have even bought some licenses. I haven't tried this yet. I believe I need one Pi for each port. If I could get 5 Pi to function in the advanced test at the same time, it would be great. This would mean to test 4 computers at the same time, I would need 20 Pi (s)..... I think this could be a nightmare to deal with. Any suggestions or experience with such a scenario? I want to run the BurnIn Test one time, testing all ports, memory, CPU, etc... I have BurnIn 10.2.1011.0.
        Thank you

Comment

Hi Doug,

We will look into this issue.

I will summarize how I understand your setup (which I'll refer to as case A):
          • two identical machines with 5 network interface cards (NICs) in each one
          • one is running BurnInTest (the BIT machine)
          • one is running Endpoint (the ED machine)
          • with the each NIC on the BIT machine being directly connected to a NIC on the ED machine
          Could you provide some logs or screenshots of the types of errors you're receiving?

If there are other configurations you'd like us to consider please provide some details.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Dimiter,
            Thanks for your reply. That was exactly the setup. I had thought that keeping all of the ports separated would be the most logical way to test.
            Today I have actually done this:
            Static IPs
            EP 1 network port attached to a switch
            BIT machine, 5 network ports to attached to the same switch
            Block size on BIT, 10000

This worked to test one machine, but the endpoint app seems fragile. I restart it each time before I do a test.

The next hurtle:
            To be able to test a complete computer at a time is good...but I have hundreds to test.
            So, I have the EP static IPs, but this time one port goes to one switch and the other port to a different one.
            I have connected 1 BIT machine to one switch and one to the other.

Although the two are physically separate, when I search for the endpoint two endpoints appear... 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1
            I have found that changing the subnet and separating them makes no difference.
            The test fails right away if all ports connected to the same switch with the same subnet.
            Just had to make sure that it opened ports 10001 + on one BIT and ports10008+ on the other (I skipped a couple of ports)
            OK, no problem... I now have 2 ports on the EP and 5 ports of each computer connected to different switches.

This works, except! I've got the computers attached to a KVM and I have been doing just short tests. It takes time to switch from one BIT machine to the other, so the test starts at different times.
            When the test that started first ends, it passes, but it disconnects the other BIT machine so it shows a fail. The fail is in the last few seconds after the first computer finishes the test.
            This happened when all computers had the same subnet as well.
            Any advice?
            Thanks,
            Doug

Comment

Doug,

We did some testing yesterday with two machines, each machine having 3 NICs.

Each machine's 3 NICs were connected to the one, common switch.

This setup worked correctly.

Do you want to email help@passmark.com and we can then set up a phone call.

I'm going to do some research into past testing configurations.

I'm going to repeat what I understand your current problem to be:
              With the following configuration
              • One Endpoint machine with 5 NICS
              • Each of which is connected to its own switch (making a total of five switches)
              • And of each of the five switches having five connections to each of the five BurnInTest machines
              The problem is that you:
              • start a short test on BurnInTest machine 0
              • switch the KVM to BurinInTest machine 1 to start testing it
              • when the test on BurnInTest machine 0 finishes it terminates the test on machine 1
              Is this correct?
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, this is correct. Same problem with Endpoint using two ethernet ports connected to a switch. 2 BIT machines, all ten ports connected to the same switch as the Endpoint. This issue seems to be with the Endpoint disconnecting after BITM 0 finishes. After this, it isn't just a momentary communication failure. It is persistent and BITM can never reconnect to the Endpoint.
                Yes, I will contact support. I downloaded the current release of BIT (10.2.1012.0), but I noticed that the endpoint version didn't change.

Comment

Hi Doug,

The specific use case that you describe having a problem with is not supported by the current version of BurnInTest/EndPoint.

Here is the relevant line from the help file ("Test Descriptions""Advanced network test"):
                  One instance of the BurnInTest Advanced Network test can only be run on a Network. That is, you can not run 2 (or more) BurnInTest Advanced Network tests at the same time on the same network. Up to 12 NIC's on the BurnInTest system may be selected for testing.

I have added the capability you require to our list of future features.

Comment

Working...
                  X