BITCFG files will only execute from My Documents\Passmark\Burn-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BITCFG files will only execute from My Documents\Passmark\Burn-in

I am in proces of upgrading my site license from 4.0 to 5.2 and bought an initial single copy to evaluate before doing so. I installed on my master drive and then copied the new bit.exe application to my test subdirectory path as I had always done in the past. I can use previous test scripts to launch BIT.exe from it's old paths but it will not utilize the .bitcfg files except from documents and settings\......\my documents\passmark\burnin directory. Also when I modify and save a new BITCFG file it will only save to this location. This really causes me issues with all of my test sequences and master test drives. It used to launch or save from where ever it was called. Why was this changed and is there a way around this? Is this by design or an OS bug? I use WinXP Pro SP2a

Thanks

This worked for me on an upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2: I had to give the full path of the bitcfg file to the -c paramater instead of just the filename and running from the directory containing that file. Without this it compained of not finding its config under My Documents. With the full path I can still run from anywhere.

Comment

Many thanks, I will try this. I have at least 50+ custom script sequences. This could save me alot of work

regards
      mbtester

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBulpin View Post
        This worked for me on an upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2: I had to give the full path of the bitcfg file to the -c paramater instead of just the filename and running from the directory containing that file. Without this it compained of not finding its config under My Documents. With the full path I can still run from anywhere.
        How do you give the full path of the config file to the c parameter? You'll have to bear with me i think im a little lost.

Comment

e.g:

bit.exe -C c:\any\dir\you\like\bit.bitcfg -R

Comment

To specifiythe full path of the config file to the c parameter, from the command line (or bat file...):
            bit.exe /c "C:\Program Files\BurnInTest\MyBigTest.bitcfg"

Often this is also specified with /r to start the tests automatically.

If no path is specified then in V5.2 (on W2000 and above, and when not run with a key.dat file) then BurnInTest will attempt to load the config file from the User's personal directory:
            eg. bit.exe /c MyBigTest.bitcfg
            would load from:
            C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\PassMark\BurnInTest\MyBigTest.bitcfg

Regards,
            Ian (PassMark)

Comment

To specifiy the full path is possible if you start the BIT from the harddisk.
              But I start it from a USB Stick . Than the device drive is changing at different computers.

Comment

We have an item on our candidate feature list to allow for this type of specification. For now, with V5.2 of BurnInTest if you run from a USB drive, using a a key.dat file (see our FAQ) with your license in it, then BurnInTest will check the BurnInTest directory on the USB drive for configuration files. So, in this case, you just need to put your config files in the same directory as BurnInTest.

eg. If bit.exe, MyBigTest.bitcfg and a valid key.dat are on a USB, CD, Firewire etc drive in a directory, say, <drive letter>:/BurnInTest
                To specifiy the config file with the c parameter, from the command line (or bat file...) you just need to use:
                bit.exe /c "MyBigTest.bitcfg"

Regards,
                Ian (PassMark)

Comment

That´s what I have already done. But the BIT will always load the bitcfg file of the documents folder even all necessary files are in one separat folder and I start the Bit with "C" parameter. I´m using my key.dat of the BurnIn Test 5.1 version. Do I need a new key for the 5.2 version?

Comment

OK. I now see the problem. It is not a problem with your license key. We will add a command line parameter (/p) to to allow the BurnInTest directory to be used rather than the User's personal directory. This will be useful when running BurnInTest from a USB drive for example.

This will be included in the Public release of BurnInTest V5.3, planned for release late next week.

Regards,
                    Ian (PassMark)

Comment

Originally posted by Terra View Post
                      To specifiy the full path is possible if you start the BIT from the harddisk.
                      But I start it from a USB Stick . Than the device drive is changing at different computers.
                      OT: Which OS are you running on your USB stick?

We're investigating the possibility of testing machines that do not have harddrives, so I wonder whether BIT will run on e.g. Windows PE.

~|:^)
                      // Mats Oscarsson

Comment

BurnInTest has been tested and documented with BartPE (Bart Pre-install environment). This will allow testing on a system with no Operating System (some limitations - see documentation). I am not sure if we have tested on a system without a hard disk. You can download our documentation from:
                        http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bit_bartpe_plugin_v1.pdf

The BurnInTest BartPE plugin can be downloaded from:
                        http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bit_bartpe_plugin.zip

While we have not tested with Windows PE, we understand some of our customers are using BurnInTest with Windows PE.

Regards,
                        Ian (PassMark)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
                          OK. I now see the problem. It is not a problem with your license key. We will add a command line parameter (/p) to to allow the BurnInTest directory to be used rather than the User's personal directory. This will be useful when running BurnInTest from a USB drive for example.

This will be included in the Public release of BurnInTest V5.3, planned for release late next week.

Regards,
                          Ian (PassMark)
                          im running bit from usb-stick, too. since switch from 5.1 to 5.2 the config files wont be found in personal folders.

please inlcude getting bitcfgs from same folder bit is situated on stick.

its urgend.

rgs
                          fsc

Comment

OK. If it's urgent, then please email us (help [at] passmark [dot] com) and we will send you a pre-release shortly.

Regards (Ian)

Comment

When/where can we download BurnIn test 5.3?

We use a USB key / CD and would like the config file to run from the burnin test folder, plus have Vista compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X