Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help, FAIL on BE Temperature difference

Firstly hi all

This is my first post. Any help will be appreciated...

I ran diskcheckup.exe and encountered an error. Based on the error I ran Dell's hardrive diagnostic tool which gave me the all clear.

The FAIL details "BE Temperature difference" is as follows:-

SMART ATTRIBUTES:
    ID Description Raw Value Status Value Worst Threshold TEC
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 Raw Read Error Rate 0 OK 200 200 51 N.A.
    3 Spin Up Time 5608ms OK 187 187 21 N.A.
    4 Start/Stop Count 564 OK 100 100 0 N.A.
    5 Reallocated Sector Count 0 OK 200 200 140 N.A.
    7 Seek Error Rate 0 OK 200 200 51 N.A.
    9 Power On Time 9931 OK 87 87 0 N.A.
    A Spin Retry Count 0 OK 100 100 51 N.A.
    B Calibration Retry Count 0 OK 100 100 51 N.A.
    C Power Cycle Count 563 OK 100 100 0 N.A.
    BE Temperature Difference from 100 56 FAIL 44 1 45 N.A.
    C2 Temperature 56 C OK 94 49 0 N.A.
    C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 OK 200 200 0 N.A.
    C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 OK 200 200 0 N.A.
    C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 OK 200 200 0 N.A.
    C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 0 OK 200 200 0 N.A.
    C8 Write Error Count 0 OK 200 200 51 N.A.

Can you advise me if this indicates a serious problem. Will I need to change my hard drive?

I am using the latest version of your program.

Any reply will be much appreciated

Best wishes,

Howard

SMART attributes are specified by the manufacturers, and in some cases are poorly documented. The BE attribute is one of those cases, however as near as we can tell it usually represents “100 minus the temperature in degrees Celsius”. Looking the data you provided this seems to be the case, the temperature is 56°C and the value for BE is 44 (100-56). The reason this is listed as a fail is because the value has dropped below the threshold of 45 (which translates back to 55°C). So basically what this is saying is the manufacturer has said that it is not desirable for this drive to be running above a temperature of 55°C.

I can’t give you any guarantees but I would suggest that the drive running a little bit hot is not going to cause immediate failure. Likely though it will reduce the overall lifespan of the drive the longer it runs at high temperatures. If possible it would be a good idea to try and get more air flowing around your drive so as to cool it down a bit.

One thing that is a little puzzling is that the 'worst' value for BE is 1, suggesting at some point your drive was running a 99°C. I would guess that the drive is reporting this in error though as I find it hard to believe a drive would have survived running that hot.

Comment

Many thanks

Your response is much appreciated. I cleaned my Dell Dimension 9150 computer inside removing dust etc, then tried the test again. This was the first time that I cleaned the computer internally for 1.5 yrs.

This time the reading was slightly different. Instead of 100,56,FAIL,44,1,45 I got 100,54, OK,46,1,45. Hopefully that is a bit better?

I seem to be able to login now and also to post again I am pleased to say. The problem was resolved by adding your site to the trusted list. It must have been a cookie problem, yet I had first party cookies enabled originally.

Many thanks for all your help.

Howard
      Last edited by zoril; Aug-02-2007, 08:38 AM. Reason: Updating info

Comment

Working...
      X