BIT with Highpoint card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIT with Highpoint card

I am using BIT to test 40 SSDs at a time. I am connecting those 40 SSDs through a JBOD Highpoint Rocket card to my computer. If i format the drives, i will be able to only go to 25 drives plus C> drive due to the limitations of the alphabet (26 letters).If I use physical drives it will not identify the drives by S/N. It said something about SCSI controllers, not SMART devices. I think this could happen because the way the JBOD card is handling the drives, BIT dont "see" through it. Is there anything that i can do using BIT in order to identify which drive is not working properly in the pack? Have you seen this before? Any ideas. Thanks

Can the JBOD controller be setup to provide access to the drives as a combined (spanned) single logical volume.

Comment

I dont think so, it is pure JBOD, each physical drive being presented as a separate logical volume. How does BIT detects the drives when the program is opened? First up, first in? or it will follow the order in what Windows recognized the drives when plugged. The problem is that i cant find a logic way to identify the drives when unformatted(physical raw), even if i connect them one by one following an established order, or following actual serial number, they dont show always organized in BIT, Disk 01 could be really the third one i connected on my station, not sure if it is me connecting the wrong drive sometimes or if the BIT itself, doing some more test on this. BTW, i am using Version 7.1 PRO of BIT.
      Last edited by calvarez; Jul-30-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

There are many layers of software and firmware between the physical disk and the application. The application doesn't really know which disks and on which physical ports. The information is abstracted away by the time it gets to the application level.

But I would have thought that the behaviour would be consistent if your test method is consistent. And with some experimentation you can probably work the correspondence between drive numbers and ports on the highpoint controller. (especially if the controller supports hot insertion and removal)

These RAID style controllers do block the collection of SMART data (including the serial number). So it does add a level of difficulty.

Comment

I did some more testing and you are right, it was me being inconsistent when plugging the drives. BIT will recognize the drives in the same order Windows did. I did try another Highpoint card, but an actual RAID not a JBOD and BIT did recognized the S/N, so i am good now.

BIT will stop recognizing drives after 50 units are plugged. I did try to trick BIT by plugging more than 50 drives and running multiple sessions of it but it did not work. Do you have an upgrade or so that will let me go further than 50? Let's say 80... Thanks!

Comment

The limit should already be above 50 (it is by con-incidence 80, in BurnInTest V.

But to be honest we haven't tested it ourselves with 80 drives. So there might be an issue somewhere between 50 and 80 that we aren't aware of.

I assume drive number 51 appears in Windows Explorer?

Comment

I can't see what version of BIT you are talking about on your previous post. Actually, i did use 50 drives plus my C unit that has 3 partitions plus the CD reader. Everything was being recognized by Windows, BIT counted my C unit as 3 different drives(the partitions i think) and it counted also the CD reader, so i was able to test just 46 of those 50 i had connected.
              If you can tell me what BIT version goes to 80 i will do the test and will let you know.
              Thanks

Comment

I fixed up my post, V8 is what I was talking about.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Just46.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	34926Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole57.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	34927
                  OK, downloaded 8.1 PRO and loaded 57 drives on my computer. BIT nicely recognize the whole 57 drives(even by serial number) under "System Information" but under "Burn In" results it does not run any test after 50 drives. I attached a couple of pics and a Log in case you want to see it. You will notice that BIT will test 46 drives(i took out of testing my C and D drives) and A and B are off by default i think. A couple drives failed but that is my fault, i am fixing my fixture over the weekend. Is there anything i am doing wrong? Is there anyway of activating more than 50 for testing? Thanks
                  It did not let me attach the Log but i guess you will get the idea from the pictures.

Comment

I believe we were finally able to reproduce and fix this behavior, there is a new debug build available at http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro8.1.1009.exe, could you please install this build and let us know how it goes.

Comment

I did try, the ftp link sent me back to version 1008. The link is still pointing at 1008 instead 1009. I will try tomorrow again in case you were able to take a look at it. Noticed that the "read me" file inside said that the bug had been corrected and version 1009 was out but still pointing to BIT 8.1.1008.

Comment

Sorry, it looks like only the 32bit file (bit32.exe) was updated correctly (we've just swapped the build/installer creation process over to a new machine) but you should be able to use this instead of the 64bit build for testing the disk issue.

Comment

Still the same problem, it pointed to 64bits old version. I will wait, so you have time to finish your new machine and release the patch. Thank you guys for your help.

Comment

We've recreated the installer, you can download it from http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro8.1.1009b.exe.

Comment

Wow, it does work. See pics attached showing 59 drives ready for test. I will be running 80 drives early next week in case you need confirmation. One more thing though, notice on first picture that the S/N of the drives that was there on previous version 1008 is not there anymore(check pic on my posting number 9 where the serial number worked). Can you put it back? I meant, can you make the software change in a way that the serial number is shown and the drives still go over 50 units? Thanks
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	34928Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	34929

Comment

Working...
                              X