PM125 Bricked After Firmware Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM125 Bricked After Firmware Update

I agreed the firmware update request from the "USB Power Delivery Test" App and then my PM125 kept showing "Updating firmware... Do not unplug! on the LCD screen.
    I ran USBPD_FWupdater.exe and selected device model to PM125 to reinstall the firmware but I still failed to fix the firmware issue.
    I ran "Power Delivery Test" App after running USBPD_FWupdater.exe and it showed both hardware and firmware revision were 0.0.
    How can I fix the issue to enable the PM125 working again?

David
    Attached Files

It seems that an incorrect device model was selected during the firmware update, resulting in the wrong firmware being loaded onto the tester.
    To make the firmware updater prompt for the device model again, you can follow these steps:
    1. While updating the firmware, unplug the tester, causing the flash memory content to become corrupted.
    2. Then unplug the tester, reconnect it, and run the firmware updater once more.
    3. This time, the updater should prompt you to select the device model again.

Comment

The PM125 still bricked by following the instruction.
      Here were what I have done.
      1. Running the updater software and clicked 'No' button to install PM125 FW (see the attached).
      2. Unplugged the USB cable during the FW updating.
      3. Plugged the USB cable again and PM125 LCD screen displayed 'Invalid Firmware Bootloader running' message.
      3. Run the updater again and clicked 'No'.
      4. PM125 LCD screen displayed 'Failed to init PD chip. This could be due to hardware failure or wrong firmware' after the FW updating counting to 100%.
      5. Then PM125 screen kept displaying 'Updating firmware ... Do not unplug!'.
      Attached Files

Comment

By updating the FW many times, I got some chances to see the PM125 screen displayed 'Waiting for Device Under Test'.
        I ran the 'USB Power Delivery Test' app and I could get the correct information about hardware and firmware revision (see attached) but PM125 had no any response when I plugged in the USB C power for test.
        PM125 went back to 'updating firmware.. Do not unplug!' again after I re-powering PM125.
        Attached Files

Comment

Was the device fully working before you did decided to do the firmware update?
          Can you try the process on a different PC, with a different USB cable.

Comment

Yes. The device worked before I updated the FW.
            I tried to update the FW with another PC (Windows 11) and different USB cable but the device still doesn't work.

Comment

If we uploaded the FW for PM110, the device worked. The device worked even I repower my PM125 device. Unfortunately the PM125 FW still didn't work on my PM125 device.

Comment

I assume you are 100% sure the unit is the PM125 unit (there should be a label on the bottom).
                The TCPC (the Type-C port controller) chip might be dead. Hard to be sure without doing a deeper inspection on the unit. But FW update should never do that. Might have had an issue prior to the update.

Might need to do a RMA.

Our contact details are here
                https://www.passmark.com/about/contact_us.php
                Include the order number / order details in any Email.

Comment

Thank you. I'll shoot an email for an RMA.

Comment

Working...
                  X