No announcement yet.

MemTest86 Saving results to file - Unable to open file for writing on Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you need to use the name of the drive to write an image to a hard drive (including the /dev/ ). Not just a partition.

The MemTest86 file system is FAT32, which you should be able to read on a Mac, once mounted.

If you want to do something more complex with multiple partitions in addition to MemTest86 ones, then you can do it, but we don't support it. And it might have been nice to mention this in your first post, rather than wasting all this time finding it out.

Comment

Sorry you feel that providing support for paying customers is a waste of your time.

Comment

Unfortunately it is when it takes a dozen exchanges to find out the full story.

Comment

Hi,
          I also got same problem when saving the report file.
          The message also showed that "unable to open file for writing".
          The MemTest86 I'm using is 8.3 pro.
          And, the boot-disk creation in windows (session 2.1 in user guide) was followed to create a bootable USB disk for booting.
          However, the report file saving problem was observed when I stop the testing by pressing "ESC".
          Could you help to solve this problem?

Enclosed with snapshots are for your reference.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic_01.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	46500

Name:	Pic_02.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	46501

Name:	Pic_04.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	46502

Comment

I also got same problem when saving the report file.
            Probably not the same cause, as the original problem was on a Mac with a USB drive created with extra partitions, rather than using our suggested method.

Your system doesn't look like a Mac. But it does look like you have no monitor connected to the unit and you are using a serial port terminal? So maybe that has got to system confused.

Did you check the drive to make sure it is writable and there is free space on the drive? Is it a normal flash drive and not one of the special ones that pretends to be a CD-ROM, or does self encrypting?

Can you connect a keyboard and monitor to the system and see if it works then?

Comment

Working...
            X