Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi keith, it worked,thanks a lot jesse
    Originally posted by keith View Post
    Booting MemTest86 from CD/DVD in UEFI is a little tricky because it doesn't boot the same way as BIOS. Some UEFI systems can boot the current ISO image without any problems but some do not recognize it as a bootable image because it does not contain a FAT12 El-Torito boot image. Can you try the following image and let us know if it boots properly:

http://www.memtest86.com/downloads/b...torito-iso.zip

Comment

The item of RAM information is blank during running Memtest86 V5 Beta 7 on UEFI system.
      My system spec. is BAY TRAIL-M Intel® Celeron™ N2805 processor.
      please help.
      thanks.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	擷取.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	34843

Jesse

Comment

jesselin68,
        Can you send us the log file (MemTest86.log) under \EFI\BOOT directory? Note that the log file is only generated when you boot from the USB drive.

Comment

Dear Keith, I have sent the MemTest86.log. Please check. my mail is jesselin68@gmail.com
          Originally posted by keith View Post
          jesselin68,
          Can you send us the log file (MemTest86.log) under \EFI\BOOT directory? Note that the log file is only generated when you boot from the USB drive.

Comment

MemTest86 V5 Beta 8 has been released. Here is the list of changes:

• Better support for booting from CD ISO images (added el-torito boot record entry and corresponding a FAT16 EFI boot image)
            • Added new 64-bit (test 11) and 128-bit (test 12) random number tests. Test #12 used SIMD (SSE2) CPU instructions to move 128bit of data to and from RAM with a single CPU instruction. Note that older CPUs won't support the SSE2 instructions.
            • Random number tests now use a fixed seed on the first pass, clock-based seed on subsequent passes
            • Dramatically improved performance of random number generator, so tests based on random data will be quicker.
            • Fixed RAM description summary line truncation on configuration screen.
            • Fixed handling of leading white space in config file
            • Minor UI fixes
            • Various improvements in error handling
            • Improved keyboard responsiveness in the configuration screen so there is less lag between keypresses.

The download links have been updated with the MemTest86 V5 beta 8 release.

Comment

For fixed ECC feature reporting, will it report single bit ECC error and multi bit errors?

Comment

In theory V5 of MemTest86 should report all types of ECC errors.

However....

1) ECC support is highly dependant on the CPU & Motherboard in use. So not all motherboards / CPUs are supported.

2) We haven't done extensive hardware testing as we have only having a couple of systems that support ECC.

3) Even on the ECC systems we do have we have had a problem forcing single bit ECC errors. We tried various techniques, such as heavy EMI and using a heat gun on the RAM modules. But it is hard to induce a single bit error in a single byte (plus also have the error outside of the MemTest86 address space). The most common result, once we heated the RAM module to 120C+, was for the entire system to crash. i.e. we got RAM errors that were much more extensive than a single bit in a single byte.

So we are actively looking for people who might be able to help with ECC testing.

Update: You can follow the progress of ECC RAM testing here.

Comment

We might help on 3) to come out module to force single bit error

From "David"
                  3) Even on the ECC systems we do have we have had a problem forcing single bit ECC errors. We tried various techniques, such as heavy EMI and using a heat gun on the RAM modules. But it is hard to induce a single bit error in a single byte (plus also have the error outside of the MemTest86 address space). The most common result, once we heated the RAM module to 120C+, was for the entire system to crash. i.e. we got RAM errors that were much more extensive than a single bit in a single byte.

So we are actively looking for people who might be able to help with ECC testing.
                  From "Bmanjason"

We are a server module manufacture and had been requested by customers to reduce SBE module rate. We also try to implement a SOP to kick out "weak cell" module cause SBE problem so we proactively seeking for solution from memory test software company.

We modified some ECC module similar to this video showed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEGJCAnDr5E

Yet, we are not sure this module can enforce SBE happen all the time so we need to have a software to verify it. We will send 2 modified module to Passmark to attack this industry wide issue together.

Comment

MemTest 86 Version 5 Beta reverts and boots to version 4.35 on my Asus P8P67 pro motherboard with UEFI. 2600K processor 16G Ram DDR3 @ 2133

Comment

Originally posted by ryegrass View Post
                      MemTest 86 Version 5 Beta reverts and boots to version 4.35 on my Asus P8P67 pro motherboard with UEFI. 2600K processor 16G Ram DDR3 @ 2133
                      You need to
                      A) Select the boot order to pick the UEFI device. You can do this in BIOS, or via a keypress during boot on many motherboard (e.g. F8 or F12)

B) Turn off secure boot in BIOS. In the final release we hope to support secure boot.

For example,

The above is an example of one particular boot menu on a UEFI system. This computer has fixed hard drives, a CD-ROM drive and a USB drive with memtest86 plugged in.
                      P5, P3 and P4 are the fixed hard drives and the CD-ROM drive. The USB drive in this case is a ‘KingstonDT 101 G2’ for which there are two entries in this list. The first entry will boot from the USB drive in emulated BIOS mode, which will launch version 4 of Memtest. The second option will boot with UEFI launching Memtest 5.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                        You need to
                        A) Select the boot order to pick the UEFI device. You can do this in BIOS, or via a keypress during boot on many motherboard (e.g. F8 or F12)

B) Turn off secure boot in BIOS. In the final release we hope to support secure boot.

For example,

The above is an example of one particular boot menu on a UEFI system. This computer has fixed hard drives, a CD-ROM drive and a USB drive with memtest86 plugged in.
                        P5, P3 and P4 are the fixed hard drives and the CD-ROM drive. The USB drive in this case is a ‘KingstonDT 101 G2’ for which there are two entries in this list. The first entry will boot from the USB drive in emulated BIOS mode, which will launch version 4 of Memtest. The second option will boot with UEFI launching Memtest 5.
                        Thank you for your quick reply though I'm a bit confused. The MemTest 86 Beta Version 5 that I downloaded is an ISO image that I burned to a CD so I am booting from the CD drive that it is in. When the computer boots from this disk it boots to Version 4.35. Should I have put it on a USB drive instead?
                        Thanks.

Comment

CD boot should work, but USB booting is faster and provides the option to write out debug files and test reports.

Comment

We have released MemTest86 V5 Beta 9 which is likely our final beta. Here is the list of changes:

• Working ECC error detection for a number of chipsets. See http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...porting-status for details.
                            • Images are now embedded into the MemTest86 binary, as opposed to reading the image files from disk.
                            • Report file now include the last 10 errors
                            • Fixed miscellaneous issues with error reporting
                            • Fixed missing RAM SPD info for some multiprocessor systems, for cases where each CPU has its own RAM.

The download links have been updated accordingly.

Comment

We are pleased to announce that after 5 months in beta, V5 of MemTest86 has now been released, and the beta testing has finished.

Comment

Working...
                              X