• Show
Clear All

• Memtest v4.3.3 is running unnormal on Xeon E5-2407

Dear all,
    My configuration:
    Intel Chipset:Intel C602J
    CPU: Xeon E5-2407*2
    MEM:Apacer register ECC DDR3 2GB*2
    I use the bootable USB flash disk to testing, and select the defalut mode, but when the program is begining, something wrong will happen. Sometimes, the system will reboot. And sometimes, the program can running about 25 minutes, and then the system crash, the state of all CPUs are W, and all actions don't respond.
    So is there anyone can help tell me why? Thanks in advance.

This sounds like a relatively recent machine. Does it have UEFI BIOS?
    If so, can you try V5 beta?

Otherwise can you try this slightly newer V4 release.
    http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-4.3.4g.zip
    I think it is unlikely to fix all the problem, but it might show some improvement.

Comment

Dear David,

Thanks for your repid response. Sorry for the delay reply from me due to the national holiday.
      I had tried the Memtest86 4.3.4, and the issue still exist, the system may reboot or crash sometimes.
      As you say, my system is a relatively recent machine. The BIOS is base on UEFI code and not the Code8. So i have tried the V5 beta for verifing. Unfortunately, i think i had made the bootable disk tool successfully, but when connect the USB disk and start runing, it still still show the Memtest86 4.3.4 interface. I have tried for more than 3 times, but all failed, the USB bootable disk contains V5 image but showing the version 4.3.3 when runing.
      So,David, is there any advice to us? please kindly inform us, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinandwang View Post
        Dear David,

Thanks for your repid response. Sorry for the delay reply from me due to the national holiday.
        I had tried the Memtest86 4.3.4, and the issue still exist, the system may reboot or crash sometimes.
        As you say, my system is a relatively recent machine. The BIOS is base on UEFI code and not the Code8. So i have tried the V5 beta for verifing. Unfortunately, i think i had made the bootable disk tool successfully, but when connect the USB disk and start runing, it still still show the Memtest86 4.3.4 interface. I have tried for more than 3 times, but all failed, the USB bootable disk contains V5 image but showing the version 4.3.3 when runing.
        So,David, is there any advice to us? please kindly inform us, thanks.
        Can you run MemTest86 with boot trace enabled by selecting the boot trace option in the menu. Continue pressing a key until you reach the trace point before the crash. Please take a picture of your screen using a digital camera and send the image back to us.

Comment

I have send the picture to you.Click image for larger version

Name:	crash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	34839

Comment

I have send the picture to you.[ATTACH=CONFIG]61[/ATTACH]
            Thanks for the screenshot.

We may have seen a similar problem before. Have you tried running with only 1 CPU enabled? If it's like what we've seen before, it should work without any problems.

Also, can you go to Configuration->Miscellaneous Options->Print Memory Map and take a picture of the screen.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.3.3 one CPU enabled PASS.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	34840Click image for larger version

Name:	4.3.3 default mode crash.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	34841Click image for larger version

Name:	4.3.3 memory map.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	34842
              Here attach the three pictures. we tested the 4.2.0 with default mode, and passed.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64[/ATTACH]
                Here attach the three pictures. we tested the 4.2.0 with default mode, and passed.
                Thanks for the screenshot. Can you try this pre-release build and see if the problem still occurs:

USB image:
                http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-4.3.5a.zip

CD image:
                http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-iso-4.3.5a.zip

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.3.5a 1 CPU pass.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	34844
                  One CPU pass. SUT reboots with default mode every times.

Comment

Looking more closely at your screen shots it looks like you switched to a new machine between some of your posts? Some posts have a E5-2407 CPU and some other screen shots show a E5-2470.

It is hard to tell if these machines are dual CPUs without hyperthreading or single CPU machines with hyperthreading on.

Would it be possible to clarify exact what CPU(s) is in both machines?

Comment

Also, does it reboot at the same point every time? If we can reproduce it consistently on one particular test, we can try turning on boot trace and see at which point before it fails.

Can you also give this 4.3.5b build a try:

USB image:
                      http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-4.3.5b.zip

CD image:
                      http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-iso-4.3.5b.zip
                      Last edited by keith; Oct-22-2013, 12:01 AM. Reason: Added 4.3.6b links

Comment

Working...
                      X