Clear All

• Weird crashing issue.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO: ASUS Prime X570-P

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600

STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

VIDEO CARD: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC

PSU: Gigabyte B700H

So I build this new PC and install Windows 10 on it, everything is going great. I download programs and update various drivers the new PC stuff. Then I install Ryzen Master and the latest driver for my graphics card. I try PBO because why not and it runs a stress test. While the stress test is running Windows freezes and the computer restarts. Now it's stuck in a boot loop where it barely loads Windows before doing the same thing over and over. Sometimes the preparing automatic repair text shows up but it still restarts every time. I can get into the BIOS fine. I've tried clearing CMOS about 10 times already and it's not helping. I created a recovery flash drive but that doesn't boot either. Moving the RAM around allowed the tiny spinning balls to show up for a half a second before the same thing happens. Memtest also crashes while it is running passes. I also tried flashing an older version of the BIOS but it hasn't helped.

After testing the ram individually and having both of them crash as soon as test 2 starts, I set the test to use only 1 core and now its running perfectly fine with no errors. Did the stress test damage my power supply and/or motherboard and/or CPU?

What's PBO?

There are some known issues with some motherboard's firmware that can cause a crash when using multi-threading. This known list of bad boards is here,
    https://www.passmark.com/forum/memte...election-modes

But that doesn't explain your Windows's problems. After backing up any important data, I would attempt a clean install of windows. If that fails there is a definite hardware problem. More likley disk than PSU I would think.

Or boot from USB drive into a testing solution (e.g. BurnInTest), or boot into Linux and test the disk.

Comment

PBO is an overclocking utility tool designed by AMD. While it was running a stress test my computer crashed and went into an infinite boot loop.

I can get it to boot now by limiting the CPU to 2 cores in the bios. Does this mean that the stress test damaged hardware?

Comment

We don't know what PBO does.
        But it is unlikely that any software stress test will damage a CPU if the CPU is running at stock specifications.

Overclocking (higher clock speeds and higher voltages) does however come with the risk of CPU damage.

Comment

Working...
        X