Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM module error reports

Hello everyone,

just used the excellent MemTest86 on my laptop Acer E5 (i5-7200U @ 2.50GHz) with 16GB RAM installed. After had again a "memory management" blue screen on Windows 10, I've decided to run memory tests.

Although, results are bit confusing, that's why I'm trying to get your support here.
    1. 1st test on both RAM modules installed reported 1393 errors!
    2. 2nd test on one RAM module only (SK hynix) reported 0 errors.
    3. 3rd test on other RAM module only (G.SKILL) reported 0 errors.
    4. Installed both RAM modules again but swapped position reported 1 error.
    RAM modules are from different brands, and they worked fine until June 2019, then started to get several blue screens:
    1. SK hynix DDR4 (this was the original installed in the laptop)
    2. G.SKILL DDR4 Ripjaws (added by me last year)
    Very confusing reports that don't give me an exact direction to the solution. Also, could be a problem related to the CPU? Any suggestion?

Thanks for your support.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_094841.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	45731

Name:	20191104_205423.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	45732

Can you return the RAM to it's original position and retest. There might be slight timing / voltage differences between the slots.
    Re-seating the RAM might have also cleaned up the connectors. So it might already be mostly fixed. Even a single RAM error is enough to crash the machine however if you are unlucky.

Comment

Thank you David. I'll return RAM to original positision and retest.
      Meanwhile, last update: a second test (with RAM modules in the swapped position) was completed and this time it reported no errors.

Kinda of random situations really difficult to manage and fix the issue. However, testing again ...

Thank you.

Name:	20191105_045957.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	45739

Comment

UPDATE: just run the test (RAM modules back to original position) and already 43 errors reported after 30 minutes ...

Comment

END OF TEST: the original position of RAM modules keeps giving lot of errors!

Name:	20191105_134902.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	45745

Comment

Testing again with RAM modules in the swapped position that returned no errors in the last test, now giving again several errors.
            I guess that this issue is impossible to manage. Probably I've to buy a new RAM module, single 16GB. Hope it'll solve it.

Comment

Yes, next step is to try new RAM.

Comment

I'll give it a try. Thanks for your support!

Comment

I've purchased another 8GB RAM module G.Skill Ripjaws and replaced the previous one (same G.Skill Ripjaws).
                  I started the test 3 times: 1 time only with the new RAM module installed and 2 times with both RAM modules installed: ZERO ERROR REPORTS!
                  It looks like the second RAM module added last year got damaged somehow. I think the issue is solved now.

Comment

Working...
                  X