Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine which component issue

Hello,

I recently built a new PC, have been experiencing many BSOD at random times with random error codes each time. I decided to do fresh install of windows and drivers, but no luck. So I ran memtest86 on both ram sticks in A2 and B2 (motherboard recommended slots). I received 1 error (1 bit) in test 7 during a 4 pass test. Then I tried testing individual ram and slots with results in the table below:
    Number of Errors Slot A2 Slot B2
    Stick 1 0+0=0 0+0=0
    Stick 2 2+0=2 0+0=0
    I ran the 4 pass test twice for each permutation of single slotted ram. Interestingly, only the first set of tests yielded errors for stick 2 in slot A2. So my suspicions are that either Stick 2 is faulty or slot A2 is faulty, however I don't know which is actually (or both). Do I need more tests? I could also try to get an exchange with the retailer for the same ram/mobo and test those sticks/mobo. What are my best next steps?

Ram: G.skill 3200 2x8GB
    Mobo: Asus Prime B550M-A Wifi
    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

P.S.
    -All the tests were run with DOCP enabled to 3200
    -I did have one bent pin in the CPU that I straightened and fit nicely into the mobo (not sure if this would affect the test)

Thanks in advance

Sounds like stick 2 might be marginal (right on the edge of working / not working).

I would confirm that PC is stable if only Stick 1 is used.
    Then replace stick 2 (or the pair of sticks).
    Or if you have lots of time on your hands, try slower clock speeds and / or higher voltages.

See also
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I am going to get some new ram and see if this will be an issue.

Additionally, is it likely that the memory slot of the motherboard A2 is also faulty?

Comment

RAM sticks are a lot more complex than a socket on a motherboard.
        So when it isn't clear what is to blame the likely hood of it being the RAM is fairly high.

Comment

Good to know! I forgot to ask as well: my bent pin in the CPU, could be a likely cause for memtest errors?

Comment

If the pin on the CPU was a problem, I would expect more errors.

Comment

That makes sense.

Update: swapped out ram and ran 3x4 passes with 0 errors total! Looks like the ram was indeed the culprit. Based on your judgement, the CPU is most likely good as well. Thank you David!

Comment

Working...
              X