AMD Ryzen processors temperatures in Memtest86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen processors temperatures in Memtest86

Hello all, as you may know AMD Ryzen processors report 2 temperature readings - T(die), which is the actual die temperature, and T(ctl), which is T(die) + an offset to ensure all processor models get a uniform treatment in terms of system fan profile.

I would therefore like to ask which of these 2 is reported by Memtest86. I've noticed that the temperature readings are exceptionally high - even higher than achieved during, say, processor-only stress testing in Windows (Prime95 on small FFTs).

Thank you in advance!

We take into account the offset (when known) and try and show the real actual temp.

But for very new CPUs we might not know the offset. What CPU model is this?

Comment

I have a same problem with Memtest CPU temperature.
      Not only in memtest, but Performance test 10 too
      https://ctrlv.cz/eL8U
      What is strange, in Memtest Log is logging real temperature
      For example
      2021-02-18 00:41:45 - Get_AMD_17_CurTmp: FAMILY_17H_M01H_THM_TCON_TEMP_RANGE_SEL flag set old temp: 50 new temp: 1
      MemTest86.log
      http://nahrajsoubor.cz/5336c927686e7...7c040a293a96a5

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

Looks like we are applying a double offset. This should be fixed in the next patch release.

Comment

Originally posted by denniskhk View Post
          I've noticed that the temperature readings are exceptionally high - even higher than achieved during, say, processor-only stress testing in Windows (Prime95 on small FFTs)
          I'm seeing the opposite with a Ryzen 5 3600. While MemTest86 V8.4 Pro reports CPU temperatures in line with my expectations, MemTest86 V9.0 Pro reports temperatures ~50℃ lower. See IMG_1 and IMG_2 (below). Note in IMG_1 that when a two-character temperature like “4C” is written to the screen, any previously written information beyond the first two characters is not overwritten by blanks. A log and additional information were emailed on February 11 to help@passmark.com with the subject line "MemTest86 V9.0 Pro Reports Incorrect CPU Temperature".

(Independently, observe in IMG_2 that no number is displayed after “CPUs in Error :” rather than the “0” that I would expect.)

IMG_1: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1.png
Views:	547
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	50091

IMG_2: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2.png
Views:	546
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	50092
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by es30 View Post
            I'm seeing the opposite with a Ryzen 5 3600. While MemTest86 V8.4 Pro reports CPU temperatures in line with my expectations, MemTest86 V9.0 Pro reports temperatures ~50℃ lower.
            This should be fixed for the next patch release.

Note in IMG_1 that when a two-character temperature like “4C” is written to the screen, any previously written information beyond the first two characters is not overwritten by blanks.
            Thanks for pointing it out. This should also be fixed for the next patch release.

A log and additional information were emailed on February 11 to help@ with the subject line "MemTest86 V9.0 Pro Reports Incorrect CPU Temperature".
            We weren't able to find your e-mail in our system. Can you re-send the e-mail and/or send it as a direct message to me.

(Independently, observe in IMG_2 that no number is displayed after “CPUs in Error :” rather than the “0” that I would expect.)
            CPUs in Error should report the list of CPU cores that detected memory errors. If there are no errors (such as in your case), the field should be blank. I can see how it is a bit confusing, though.

We have fixed it so that if there are no errors, CPUs in Error will not be displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
              We weren't able to find your e-mail in our system. Can you re-send the e-mail and/or send it as a direct message to me.
              I have re-emailed the files, this time to info@ with the subject line "MemTest86 V9.0 Pro Reports Incorrect CPU Temperature".

Comment

Working...
              X