Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 Released V9.0 No Sound At Test Completion + Screen Suggestion

Thanks for all your help (to date)!

I finished testing the latest MemTest86 V9.0 Release.
    The only 'problem' I encountered was I expecting an audible alert on Test Completion (four passes)
    (as per latest changes in the MemTest86 V9.0 User Manual).
    I attached a report from HWiNFO64 v6.43-4370 / Audio section (in the hope that it helps).
    (Is this feature not supported for this hardware?)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HW-Info - Audio - Acer R15 571T-57Z0.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	50018
    For future reference, should the audible alert sound at the end of a test with only one pass?
    Might be useful to know that one does not have to wait (3+ hours) for all four passes to complete
    just to verify if the audible alert function works!
    I also attached a screen change layout suggestion.
    (Based on my patiently waiting for Passes to finish.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MemTest86 - Screen Output - Suggested Changes.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	50017

As far as we are aware there is no standard in UEFI for audio output.

Background:
    Each audio card / chipset has a different hardware interface. In Windows this is taken care of by the audio device driver. (The function of a device driver is to provide a standard interface to the operating system and hide the complexities of the hardware). This is also part of the reason audio in Linux only works half the time. Missing or half implemented device drivers.

But before sound cards started appearing in PC's there was another audio option, which was standardized. This was sometimes called the "PC speaker" or piezo speaker. It was used for BIOS error beep codes and a few other things. Years ago this speaker was a standard thing in nearly every PC, but it is becoming less common now.

So as we don't want to write code (basically our own device driver) for every sound card on the market, MemTest86 is using the piezo speaker to make a beep at the end of testing. So it isn't relevant what sound card you have, as we aren't using it. But this piezo speaker will not be installed in all systems. We don't know the numbers, but I would think many laptops don't have it.

Short version:
    Only some systems have the hardware to make a beep sound.

Comment

Thanks for responding so quickly!
      I found this list of Acer BIOS POST codes. Perhaps this URL might help?

http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/acerbios.htm

I'm guessing there must be some basic audio mechanism present.
      If this had worked, would it have beeped after completing just one Test/Pass (if so configured)?
      BTW - Did anyone get a chance to look at my screen layout suggestion?
      (Just thought I'd ask ...)

Comment

Working...
      X