X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 (free) no graphics?

Hi,

I donwloaded and installed on an external USB the
    latest version 6.1.0 of MemTest86 (the free one).
    The test run just fine, but I don't see any graphical UI.... if I press (C)onfiguration and
    then Return to Main Menu I just see the blinking cursor at the top right corner of the screen. The same I see at the end of the test of my Ram. Because of that, I have to force restart by holding the poweron button.

I would like to increase the number of passes (from 4 to but I can't do that for this reason...

thanks!

Can you give us some details about the hardware specs for the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Can you give us some details about the hardware specs for the machine.
      here it is:
      Lenovo X1 Carbon
      8 Gb Ram
      Windows 8.1 64 bit
      Hd SSD 100 Gb
      CPU Intel i7 4600U, 2.1 Ghz

I have recently updated the BIOS with the latest version I found in the Lenovo website: GRET44WW 1.21, SMSBIOS 2.7, 1.16, BIOS UEFI mode.

edit: Do I have to disable UEFI mode from the Bios?
      Last edited by GiulioP; Aug-06-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Can you give this build a try:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest8...6.1.0.1004.zip

Please send us the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive if you are still having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
          Can you give this build a try:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest8...6.1.0.1004.zip

Please send us the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive if you are still having problems.
          thanks, I will give that build a try.
          where can I send the log file?

Comment

Contact details are here.

Comment

I just tried the other build above and it is simply not working: I got this error message when I boot the pc with the usb drive plugged in:

Secure Boot: Image Failed to verify with *ACCESS DENIED*.
              Press any key to continue

Do I have maybe to change some of the settings of my Bios, like disable the Secure Boot or something like that? I found no log file in the EFI/BOOT folder of the usb drive with this build.

However, I installed again the build I found on your website (6.1.0 Free, the one which does not show any graphics) and I copied that log file. I am sending you now the log file to the email of the Contacts page.

Comment

Yes, you need to disable secure boot for the debug builds.

Comment

Hello,

Sorry to revive this thread but it was the only one I found with the same problem I am having.

I don't see any splash screen, the first thing on the screen is the "Retrieving hardware info" part and then the test starts. When I go to the Main Menu I can only see the blinking cursor and I found that if I press ENTER I get some RAM info. Later, thanks to the screenshots here, I discovered that I was selecting the "View detailed RAM (SPD) info" option, that if I press S the test starts again and if I press X the computer reboots. All other options show nothing on screen, so I guess they all use the graphical interface.

All this was on a Lenovo B50-70 with a 1366x768 screen. I tested the debug build and the only lines in the log that seemed relevant to this problem were these ones (I removed the date to shorten the line):

Code:
                  10:02:32 - GetGlyph failed for character 0x3041 (Warning Unknown Glyph)
                  10:02:32 - Language ja-JP is not supported
                  10:02:32 - GetGlyph failed for character 0x4E0F (Warning Unknown Glyph)
                  10:02:32 - Language zh-CN is not supported
                  10:02:32 - GetGlyph failed for character 0xF944 (Warning Unknown Glyph)
                  10:02:32 - Language zh-HK is not supported
                  10:02:32 - Font does not support all languages. Installing unicode font...
                  10:02:32 - InitFont - Font header version: 1.1
                  10:02:32 - InitFont - Number of narrow glyphs: 6969
                  10:02:32 - InitFont - Number of wide glyphs: 50117
                  10:02:32 - Language en-US is supported
                  10:02:32 - Language fr-FR is supported
                  10:02:32 - Language es-AR is supported
                  10:02:32 - Language de-DE is supported
                  10:02:32 - Language ja-JP is supported
                  10:02:33 - Language zh-CN is supported
                  10:02:33 - Language zh-HK is supported
                  10:02:33 - Intializing screen for graphics
                  10:02:56 - Screen resolution is too low (640 x 480). Setting screen size to the minimum 1024 x 768
                  10:02:56 - New screen size = 1024 x 768
                  10:02:56 - Screen size = 1024 x 768
                  10:02:56 - Char width=8 height=19
                  10:02:56 - Installing default tests
                  BTW, the test itself is not full screen but about 2/3, using of course the upper left part.

Thanks!

Andrew

Comment

We found an EFI firmware compatibility issue with Mac/Lenovo systems that caused the graphics issue that you are describing. We are in the process of preparing a new MemTest86 release within a week which will have a fix for this issue.

If you urgently need a fix, you can send us an e-mail and we may be able to provide a patch build.

Comment

Working...
                    X