Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus x670E-A, Corsair DDR5 error MEMTEST86

Hi everyone.

A friend and I have recently assembled a pc with Asus x670e-a wifi motherboard, amd 7700x, msi 4090, psu 1000w holg nzxt and 32gb ram ddr5 6000 Corsair Dominator (CMT32GX5M2D6000C36) CMT32GX5M2D6000Z36.

I have received some windows BSODs related to power kenrel bugs and sudden restarts, with the PC at rest or while copying data to external disks or flash drives via USB. The motherboard is updated to the latest bios and the drivers as well. Yesterday, also looking in the device management panel, I noticed the lack of Amd PCI drivers.

I thought everything was fine but also doing a test of the ram memory with Memtest86 with expo disabled (ra. Tock 4800mhz and left all the Auto in the bios) 6 errors appeared.

5 errors in test 8

1 error in test 7

Also I don't understand... from bios it sees the ram as CL36 but then from CPUZ and from MEMSET86 it sees them as CL40?

Right now I don't know what to do other than try one ram bank at a time tonight to figure out what's going on. I'm not even sure if it's the ram or the motherboard or the cpu...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	v62txip1d4ha1.png
Views:	214
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	54431

Name:	nge7fip1d4ha1.png
Views:	183
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	54432

This seems to be a single bit error (the red box in your report).
    Very likely it is a RAM error.

See this page to start with
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

MemTest86 reports the RAM capabilities (the best looking / fastest profile), as stored in the RAM SPD data.
    It doesn't report the speed that BIOS or the user has selected to use.

Comment

Ok thanks!

at the moment the test of the first 16gb stick has passed ... the second after the first start the pc did not want to start (yellow light on the motherboard indicating ram), I left the pc off and unplugged for a couple of hours it restarted and is checking the second stick and seems to be doing well. I think the problems arise when they work together (2x16gb set). one thing that got me thinking was also one of the 4 small screws loose when i opened the ram box i didn't give it much consideration and screwed it on.

I saw that this ram, although compatible with EXPO and with cpu 7000, is not in the asus QVL... it seems strange to me, however, they only have 2 corsair ram models that would be tested by them, all the rest is intel with XMP.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        This seems to be a single bit error (the red box in your report).
        Very likely it is a RAM error.

See this page to start with
        https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

MemTest86 reports the RAM capabilities (the best looking / fastest profile), as stored in the RAM SPD data.
        It doesn't report the speed that BIOS or the user has selected to use.
        It also passed the second ram... this morning before going to work I reset the CMOS, installed the other ram and started the test with 32gb. At the moment in step 3/4 no errors. the first test (the one with errors) I did it without resetting the cmos after a bios update and some settings (nothing basic that concerned the ram except activating and deactivating the EXPO). If it also passes this test, is it still worth returning to amazon? A thousand thanks!

Comment

just finished the test and everything passed after cmos reset and in standard ram setting (4800mhz no EXPO). At this point I can deduce that it was a Bios problem. Although I remember that one of the rams had one of the 4 screws loose (nothing more than a turn of a screwdriver) but the doubt remained.

Comment

I think the initial errors were real.
            Hard to know why they disappeared. Maybe BIOS changes, maybe the loose screw, maybe the gold finger connectors got cleaned up by removing the RAM and reinserting it, maybe something external (temperature, EMI).

Comment

Now I have system crashes with any game ... and it seems and I mean it seems ... the video driver that even if I uninstalled and cleaned everything and reinstalled continues to have problems. what a frustration!

Comment

I think the initial errors were real.
                Hard to know why they disappeared. Maybe BIOS changes, maybe the loose screw, maybe the gold finger connectors got cleaned up by removing the RAM and reinserting it, maybe something external (temperature, EMI).
                dude you were right! Today out of desperation I had redone the ram test... and fail... 411 error... I don't know why it passed the test 3 times (2 times with each single stick and the third time with both) . I apologize for the photo but the keyboard no longer takes bios commands ... again ... it was solved and now after the reset via CMOS again ... that too ... thanks Asus ...

Name:	20230211_190640.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	54458
                Last edited by ALE5510; Feb-11-2023, 06:23 PM.

Comment

16GB is enough for most tasks.
                  Try running 1 stick at a time for a couple of days.

But in the end you probably need to get the RAM replaced.

Comment

yes... and this reassures me, amazon delivers the new ones on Monday so I try them and see if it's resolved.
                    but why only in pairs do they fail so much? I don't understand unfortunately I've thought about it a lot but I can't understand and it drives me a little crazy (I can't stand not knowing xD)

Comment

With two sticks there is greater electrical load (double the current, and voltage drop is proportional to current).
                      With two sticks you will be running in dual channel mode (interleaved memory access). So the timings and access patterns will be different.
                      With two sticks there will be slightly more EMI & heat in the box.

Comment

With two sticks there is greater electrical load (double the current, and voltage drop is proportional to current).
                        With two sticks you will be running in dual channel mode (interleaved memory access). So the timings and access patterns will be different.
                        ha... wow I get it! so if one of these is not entirely ok in dual channel the problems would emerge... thanks you have been very clear! only that it is impossible to understand which of the two. for example with the bench mounted now cpuz does not show any speed... nor temperature of the ram while with the previous bench yes.

Comment

Corsair cmt32gx5m2d6000z36 replacement rams arrived today... and like the previous ones they have a screw so loose that I was about to lose it in the case on the video card! 2 out of 2 is not really nice at 265€. At this point I didn't even install them, I made the amazon return and chose the Kingston fury beast KF556C36BBEAK2-32 which by the way are present in the QVL of my motherboard. It's a pity because I've always bought corsair products including ram. I'll test them this week to see how they go and eventually isolate the problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X