Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel N3160 4 core, parallel mode, but CPU state only rotates 1, rest always waiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel N3160 4 core, parallel mode, but CPU state only rotates 1, rest always waiting

Hi,

I tried to look if this topic is already covered, but didn't see a search function on the forum and after going through several pages of posts, I resorted to just asking the question.

I have a Intel Celeron N3160 which has 4 physical cores, no Hyperthreading.
    Parallel test selected.
    Memtest86 V10.5 shows 4 CPUs active, but CPU state only rotates 1, the rest is always waiting.
    Weirdly it is the one that was last selected in Single mode, even though I switched to parallel after that. Have interrupted tests, gone back to config and verified parallel was still selected.

Anybody have an idea what could be going on here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Climber

There is a search box at the top right of each page that searches the forums and the rest of the site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	searchforum.png
Views:	330
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	55353

There are a whole bunch of motherboards with BIOS bugs that prevent multi-threading.
    So that might be the issue.

We would need MemTest86 debug log to be sure.
    Attached Files

Comment

I thought that search box was just for Passmark website itself and not the forums. Usually you can search just a particular sub forum to avoid a lot of useless results.
      I will work on getting a debug log. Currently running Memtest86+ V6.2 in parallel mode and it is finding errors that Passmark's Memtest86 V10.5 did not, so I'm wondering if it's due to Passmark's not actually running in parallel and memtest86+ is.
      Even though some boards might not support multi-threading, shouldn't the program be able to detect that and report it?

BTW: It's a QNAP TS653A with a proprietary MB.

Comment

Excerpt from the log:

2023-06-27 20:59:19 - Start memory range test (0x0 - 0x480000000)
        2023-06-27 20:59:21 - RunMemoryRangeTest - CPU #1 completed but did not signal (test time = 70ms, event wait time = 1001ms, result = Success) (BSP test time = 43ms)
        2023-06-27 20:59:21 - WARNING - possible multiprocessing bug in BIOS
        2023-06-27 20:59:21 - RunMemoryRangeTest - CPU #2 completed but did not signal (test time = 70ms, event wait time = 1062ms, result = Success) (BSP test time = 43ms)
        2023-06-27 20:59:21 - RunMemoryRangeTest - CPU #3 completed but did not signal (test time = 70ms, event wait time = 1145ms, result = Success) (BSP test time = 43ms)

​Wondering if MemTest86+ also didn't actually run in parallel, but since they don't indicate per CPU activity I can't see that?

Comment

WARNING - possible multiprocessing bug in BIOS
          Yes, this warning from the log is a good indication that there is a multiprocessing bug in BIOS.

Comment

Working...
          X