Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 FAIL Result after Upgrading Desktop RAM

Hi PassMark Support Forum team,

I have recently upgraded the RAM on my Alienware Aurora R13 PC to 128GB using two SK Hynix 32GB RAM modules. The PC was configured originally (by Dell) with two SK Hynix 32GB RAM modules (64GB). I noted that MemTest86 showed a FAIL result after the upgrade, with some 'test 3' address errors (but no ECC errors).

I should mention that prior to the upgrade to 128GB, I ran MemTest86 and there were no issues. All the tests were passed successfully before upgrading so now, I am trying to figure out what went wrong after the upgrade: could it be the new RAM modules? or Is there something I am not doing correctly?

I ran another RAM memory test using BurnInTest trial software and there were no issues/runtime errors identified with the 128GB ran - further adding to my confusion. I have also used the RAMMon free software from Passmark Software to assist with troubleshooting but I cannot seem to identify any problems that would cause the MemTest86 FAIL result, after the upgrade to 128GB.

Could you please assist by reviewing the attached MemTest86 results and logs, after the RAM upgrade. I have also attached screenshots of the results from the BurnInTest software.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Looks like bad RAM.

But also the BIOS setting might not be optimal.
    You seems to be running at 3590MT/s with tight timings.
    But "best" speed might be 4800MT/s with longer timings.
    (this might not fix the problem however)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	58
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	57549

Comment

Hi David (PassMark), thanks for feedback and suggestions. The motherboard has 4 DIMM slots so I decided to test each of the 32GB RAM modules independently (one at a time in a specific DIMM slot) with MemTest86 and they all PASSED.

In addition, I tested one of the newly purchased 32GB RAM module together with one of the old 32GB RAM module - these two RAM modules also PASSED. Given that the previously reported FAIL result occurred when MemTest86 was running Test 1 and Test 3, respectively, I decided to test all the four 32GB RAM modules together (again) by re-running Test 1 and Test 3, curiously, I had a FAIL result this time.

I have attached the logs and the HTML result that was generated from retesting all the four RAM modules again (Test 1 and Test 3).

Attached Files

Comment

Still looks like a real RAM error.

See this page about non-consistent errors
        https://www.memtest86.com/troublesho...htm#consistent

We seen several cases of the years where you only get errors with multiple sticks installed or when a specific slot is used. We are guessing it is due to additional voltage drop when there are more sticks or EMI or temperatures.

With the paid for software you can probably locate the error.
        Otherwise get an additional stick and replace each stick one at a time and retest between each change.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will look into getting the paid software.

Comment

Working...
          X