Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop stuck at boot logo, stuck at retrieving cpu msr data... is the cpu bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop stuck at boot logo, stuck at retrieving cpu msr data... is the cpu bad?

Hello Experts,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	27
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	57791Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	23
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	57792
    I have a msi laptop which gets stuck in the logo no matter what I do. I can get to bios menu and see all hw details and move through all menu. If I try to reinstall windows from a bootable usb drive it also gets stuck on the logo when trying to boot from the usb.

I ran memtest86 and as you can see the picture it gets stuck at cpu msr data. I then checked the memtest logs and found that all three times it stops at here exactly before I forcefully turn it off.

GetIntelArchitectureSpecificMSRInfo - MaxRatio = 94

GetIntelArchitectureSpecificMSRInfo - Mult = 2068

GetIntelArchitectureSpecificMSRInfo - raw_freq_cpu = 2211366

EnableTurboMode - MSR[1A0] = 0000004000850089

EnableTurboMode - New MSR[1A0] = 0000000000850089

EnableTurboMode - MSR[0x198] = 00001CD000001500 (Current multiplier: 21)

EnableTurboMode - MSR[0x199] = 0000000000001500 (Target multiplier: 21, Max1CTurbo: 41)

EnableTurboMode - Setting MSR[0x199] to 0000000000002900

I repasted the CPU and ran again. It's getting stuck at the same location. Has the cpu gone bad?

Can you post the full debug log
    https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

Also try a different USB flash drive. Flash drives aren't very reliable.

But yes, there is a reasonable chance the hardware is bad.

Comment

Ran it for 30 mins and still stuck at the same place. Logs attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

So Laptop is using i7-8750H. Which is a relatively common CPU released 6 years ago. So unlikely that there is some compatibility issue that we didn't notice until now.

I did see some reports online about failures of similar laptops after RAM upgrades. I assume you haven't just done a RAM upgrade?

I repasted the CPU
        I would suggest replacing the CPU, but it might be hard to find this CPU standalone (not already installed in a laptop)

Comment

No RAM was changed. Few weeks back I found out when plugging the power adapter that the battery is not charging. When try to powering it on it gets stuck as above. Then I found out that battery is inflated and it has no voltage on it. The cmos battery is also dead. So I swapped both and new battery started charging normally. But the device is still stuck as above. I changed to a new RAM along with a new SSD to reinstall windows. And as I mentioned above the new installation is also stuck.
          So I did a memtest86 as it's only test known to me which has its own bootable drive that runs independantly while MSI is lacking any such HW/device test that can be done like that and it's stuck there too. I am trying to understand what's the significance of it stopping at that specific log.
          Last edited by lake1988; Yesterday, 05:39 AM.

Comment

MSR = Model-specific register

​In this case MemTest86 is using them to work out the CPU's clock speed. i.e. it is collecting information about the CPU. Then, it seems, the execution of the program stopped.
            We don't know why it stopped. It isn't normal. We haven't seen this before. There could be lots of reasons for this. We don't have any additional information.

Given the online reports of bad RAM upgrades however, I would be tempted to re-install the original RAM as an experiment.

Comment

Working...
            X