Help! What does this mean?e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What does this mean?e

I've just installed a fresh Kingston 2GB Ram stick in my Asus Eee 1005 HAB netbook because I thought I might have RAM errors as Memtest86 found "several errors" during my first memory scan. However the following information was present during the memtest86 Memory test with the old RAM (with errors) and the new Kingston memory (with zero errors after 7 hours of testing)
    So here is the confusing info:
    Memory : 2039M 1818 MB/s ----- really? 1818MB/s. That's super fast right?
    Chipset : Intel i945GME (ECC : Disabled ) -FSB : 133 MHz - Type DR2
    Settings : RAM : 222 MHz ( DDR444)/CAS:4-4-4-12 conti/Single Channel (64bits)

As far as I know this is a 32 bit machine, with 533 Front Bus Speed, the new ram I installed is 667 MHz. So what gives? I really hope you can help.

1818MB/s. That's super fast right?
    No, not at all.

20,000 MB/sec would be fast.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have several other questions. Why does the FSB on the chipset line say 133Mhz? It should be 533Mhz right?, and the MHz on the RAM settings is 222, but the RAM I just purchased is 667MHZ....and last, it's a 32bit machine, why does it say 64bit straight line? I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Would be good to see a screen shot, so that we know what numbers you are referring to.

There are a few different numbers associated with DDR RAM.

The memory clock speed. In older DDR2 systems this is typically, 133.3Mhz, 166.7Mhz or 200Mhz.

The I/O clock speed. In older DDR2 systems this is typically, 266Mhz, 333Mhz or 400Mhz. This is exactly double the memory clock speed.

The data transfer speed. This is exactly double the I/O speed (as it is Double Data Rate ram). So values like these are typical, 400 Mega transfers/s, 533MT/s, 667MT/s.

But people sometimes confuse the above 3 numbers causing confusion.

Then there is the industry names. Which refer to how many bytes can be transferred per second. Names like, PC2-3200, PC2-4200, etc.. are common. The 4200 value refers to 4200MB/sec transfer speeds.

Then there are marketing names. Like DDR2-400 & DDR2-533. These again reference the data transfer rates.

DDR2 RAM uses a 64bit hardware bus. Meaning up to 8 bytes or 8 bits are transferred per second. This is the case even if you are using a 32bit operating system.

Further even of the RAM is of a certain speed specification, it doesn't mean the system will run at that speed. It might run slower, depending on the motherboard and BIOS settings.

Comment

Working...
        X