Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does BatteryMon label every battery a Nickel Metal Hydride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does BatteryMon label every battery a Nickel Metal Hydride?

I've been testing multiple laptop batteries and BatteryMon says they are all NiMH. One was detected Lithium Ion once it discharged below 30% or so. I know they aren't NiMH. What is wrong with BatteryMon?

We haven't noticed anything wrong. But has been a while since we looked at this. So maybe there are some newer battery systems reporting different information which the software isn't taking into account.

We'll take a deeper look.

Comment

We had a look at the code and the BatteryMon software seems to comply with the latest Battery_Information specifications regarding chemistry.

So we think it is a problem with the particular Laptops (their charging circuits).

Comment

These are Amazon ordered third party batteries for older HP laptops 2010-2013 (dv5 and dv6 models). Once the battery is discharged to around <20% the first time, BatteryMon identifies it as Li-ion. But for every battery I've tested, it is NiMH until discharged to this level. It may be computer specific, or it may be related to cheap third party design.

Comment

Likely the charging circuit in this Laptop was never expecting this type of battery and doesn't identify it correctly.
          I agree it is strange however that the chemistry changes based on the charge level.

Comment

Working...
          X