ImageUSB failing after making a .bin file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mhaverin View Post
    I just tested the V1.2.1004 with two DT101 sticks and they both worked fine. Thank you!
    Great. Glad the fix is working for you. We'll keep the drive as a test device for future fixes/changes to imageUSB.

Comment

I have dozens of each Kingston G1, G2, Slider and G3 (Rubber) drives and the G2's have easily been them most troublesome drives I've ever had. Many of them would never even format correctly for booting. Out of 24 of them, I think I have 2 left in production.

Comment

Having a similar problem with a Kingston DataTravler G3 64GB drive.
        (If you want a new thread, let me know.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	34967

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt5150 View Post
          Having a similar problem with a Kingston DataTravler G3 64GB drive.
          (If you want a new thread, let me know.)
          -Matt
          The error being reported is that imageUSB is failing to read from a specified address (0x65A00000) on the USB drive.

Have you tried creating the image again? Is the error reproducible (and at the same offset)?

You can also try to open the UFD with a raw disk viewer (e.g. OSForensics) and navigate to that position to verify the contents can be read.

Comment

Yes I've tried several times. It seems to keep moving to another address. This last attemp reads "Failed to read from UFD at offset 44671434752 (0x66a00000)".

Right before this error, I hear the Windows sound for disconnecting a removable device. And then it is re-detected as a Unknown Device. I have to remove it and re-insert it, then it's fine again.

I was able to run WinZip to make a copy of all the data on the drive (System/Hidden incl). With no errors.

Comment

Do you have another flash drive to test with. Could be a hardware fault (or a fake USB drive).
              (if it was a software bug, it is much more likely to always fail at the same offset).

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                Do you have another flash drive to test with. Could be a hardware fault (or a fake USb drive).
                (if it was a software bug, it is much more likely to always fail at the same offset).
                Unfortunately no, not of the same brand model. Seems to work fine on all my SanDisk drives. It was sent to me preloaded for a project, and I wanted to make a complete backup of it before I modified it.

Comment

Right before this error, I hear the Windows sound for disconnecting a removable device
                  If it disconnects, it might also be a physical problem with the electrical connection of the drive.
                  You could try it on another PC or a different USB port.

Comment

Hello, I'm having this issue on Win7 x64, usbimage v1.4 build 1002 as noted in photo. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	imageusb failed.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	44393

Comment

Originally posted by Dan2019 View Post
                      I'm having this issue on Win7 x64, usbimage v1.4 build 1002 as noted in photo
                      When writing to a drive, the Failed to open drive error is typically because the destination drive is in use (e.g. another process is holding a file open). imageUSB requests exclusive access to the drive and if another process has any open handles to the drive or it's contents, then it will likely fail with that error.

Can you run imageUSB with the debug logging enabled and post/send the log? Start the program with -d command line parameter or create a shortcut to the program end edit the target field with -d. This should provide more details on the exact failure with opening the drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X