Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very low scores on some 2D Mark tests for Radeon RX 470 -other testing appears normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very low scores on some 2D Mark tests for Radeon RX 470 -other testing appears normal

I've just downloaded and tested my system and except for the 2D score I'm not surprised since it is an older computer.
    However, the 2D scores are puzzling. I hope you can help me to understand what is going on.
    System data:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 build 7601 (64-bit)
    CPU Type: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz (o/c 4.5GHz)
    Number of CPUs: 1
    Cores per CPU: 4
    Hyperthreading: Enabled
    Motherboard: P8Z77-V LK
    Memory: 16GB Kingston DDR3 SDRAM
    Videocard: AMD Radeon RX 470
    Hard Drive: INTEL SSDSC2KW256G8 (256GB)

CPU Mark 7230
    2D Mark 20.1
    3D Mark 6845
    Memory Mark 2923
    Disk Mark 4632

These 2D ratings are lower than I expected
    Image Filters 262.4
    Image Rendering 0.84
    Direct 2D 15.3

Image filters test gives a warning, "Failed to create Direct3D environment..."
    (Monitor has no portrait mode. No such error occurs in the 3D Mark DirectX tests.)

These tests look more "normal":
    Simple Vectors 30.4
    Fonts and Text 201.2
    Windows Interface 105.8

There is apparently not enough data for this model gpu to compare with.

What can I look for (and possibly fix) as a potential issue to cause this low 2D performance?

2D scores are lower in Win7 compared to newer versions of Windows due to missing several required APIs used for drawing, see this FAQ more for more information "2D results in Windows 7 seem poor compared to previous versions of Windows, why is this?".

Comment

thanks for the reply.
      Yes, I can see that Win7 will have some reduced performance due to that issue compared to previous Windows.

So the results I got - 4 percentile for 2D and 4 percentile for Passmark- are accurate based on your formula even though some components of 2D are 99 percentile, and the other components of Passmark are 42-48-50-70 percentile?
      With respect, from my POV, admittedly ignorant of the formulas being applied, that 4 percentile Passmark result, doesn't seem to reflect the overall capability of the hardware.
      Last edited by iamjohngalt; Dec-30-2020, 12:04 AM.

Comment

There are 48 results in the database for this card in Windows 7, the 2D mark ranges from 6.5 to 22.9. So in Win7 your card is performing well but in Windows 10 this result could be over 1000.

The Passmark rating is probably affected by the low 2D score more than it should be but it's almost impossible to scale such a wide range of scores accurately.

Comment

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate the dilemma that you are faced with.
          Is there an article I can read on what would be affected by the 2D functionality that is augmented by W10?
          I'd like to know what I might be missing . ;^)

Comment

Working...
          X