Recent spate of abyssmal Threadripper 5995wx scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent spate of abyssmal Threadripper 5995wx scores

I have a Threadripper 3955wx that is serving me well in video editing. My real dream is a 5995wx, but I see that it has been faring very poorly lately. After very light investigation, it seems that these incidents involve systems with only 32GB of RAM! Why would anyone buy a 64 core workstation CPU and only install 32GB of RAM, and is this part of the poor score equation, or is something else amiss?
    I want to upgrade my swrx80 system sometime soon for better video editing and processing speed. I don't care much about games, but I do use the system for gaming as well. I currently have 128GB 3200MHz DDR4. I was thinking of going with a Threadripper 5965wx and 256GB of RAM for the upgrade. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks!

64+ Core systems only make sense for very niche applications.
    Nearly all software will hit a RAM, GPU, network, disk or software bottleneck (e.g. semaphores, database row locking) before being able to full use 64 CPU cores. This isn't going to change soon either.

I don't think going to 256GB of RAM will fix this, as more RAM doesn't mean faster RAM. It might help a bit in rare cases of the software using NUMA, and more RAM means more RAM per NUMA node (so less average latency), but nearly no software supports NUMA.

A Ryzen 5 5600 ($150) can match the performance of a 5995wx ($6500) in many applications.

See these older post for more discussion
    https://forums.passmark.com/pc-hardw...-amd-epyc-7742
    https://forums.passmark.com/performa...d-threadripper

Especially see the graphs showing the diminishing, or negative returns, of adding more cores in this post.

Comment

I think I understand what you've stated. It just seems odd that the average score for the 5995wx went from 103000 something to barely more than a 5975wx. If it had started there, I could have better accepted it. I know a Ryzen 5 5600 has better per-core performance, but it is going to be in trouble doing serious video work, compared to a Threadripper. I've seen the results first hand. Sure, it's fine for something lightly threaded, like Photoshop. It really depends on what you're building your computer to do. I can see a 5995wx being overkill for almost anything, which is one of the reasons (the other being price) that I was looking at a 5965wx. Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

The CPU was exclusive, rare and expensive, up until now. Now it is just expensive.
        Having so few results to create an average means the result will jump around a bit until the CPU becomes more common place (which might never happen for this model).
        Current average result as of today (4/Aug/2022) is 100,011.
        There were also a couple of low results which have now been excluded from the average.

Comment

Working...
        X