Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do you reccoment i turn them down or off just for the tests, and thne turn them back up for gaming ?

Comment

do you reccoment i turn them down or off just for the tests, and thne turn them back up for gaming ?
      Depends on your goal. Different games will have different behaviour in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post

Depends on your goal. Different games will have different behaviour in any case.
        Hi, i accidently overclocked my gpu by 600 mhz for a week, my bpu seems a bit slower now. is there a way i can fix this or is it broken

​​​​​​​

Comment

2D was fast in the year 2018 and early 2019. But is slower now.

Problem:
          Microsoft, Intel and AMD have made patches to the O/S and CPU microcode to fix the Spectre & Meltdown class of security issues
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectr...vulnerability)

These changes have a performance impact on tests that make a lot of API function calls into the Kernel. (e.g. Disk and 2D). Particularly the advanced vectors and windows interface tests. Performance can be roughly halved.

Solution (Unverified):
          If you get the inspectre tool from Gibson Research it can report on what Spectre & Metldown patches have been applied and disable them. This will then restore the lost performance (but also reopen the security vulnerability). In our opinion, the security issues aren't critical for a home user (one user on a single machine). They are more critical in a server environment with multiple users however. So try disabling them and see if it restores the lost performance.

Comment

2D was faster in mid 2019, but is slower now.

Problem:
            Microsoft have made patches to the O/S to work around security issues. These patches were in September 10, 2019—KB4512578 (OS Build 17763.737)

Like the Spectre & Metldown changes above these changes have a performance impact on tests that make a lot of API function calls into the Kernel. (e.g. Disk and 2D). Particularly the advanced vectors and windows interface tests. Performance was reduced by up to a further 30% (after being cut in half earlier).

Solution:
            Don't install KB4512578. Not much of a solution really. Microsoft are aware of the problem, but don't care greatly about 2D performance.

Comment

I was hoping to see specific suggestions for CPU score being low. I have just built new PC around 11900k and my score is a very disappointing 19256 against average of around 26000.
              I downloaded a baseline to compare but could not see the direct individual comparisons for integer math, prime numbers, CPU single threaded of the baseline.
              Is this possible to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Maax555 View Post
                I was hoping to see specific suggestions for CPU score being low. I have just built new PC around 11900k and my score is a very disappointing 19256 against average of around 26000.
                I downloaded a baseline to compare but could not see the direct individual comparisons for integer math, prime numbers, CPU single threaded of the baseline.
                Is this possible to do?
                Could you try checking on task manager >Performance > CPU when you run the tests what the speed of your CPU is while running PerformanceTest? I had I look at the baselines for that CPU and if your CPU stays at 3.5Ghz the score is around what you get. If the CPU is reaching 5+Ghz, the scores get to around the 26000 average.

If your speed is locked to 3.5Ghz, maybe check your BIOS and make sure that you have not disabled Turbo boost?

Comment

An interesting new case for slower than expected RAM speeds.

Problem
                  I use faster RAM, but performance is worse than with slow RAM on a Ryzen CPU.

Solution
                  The CPU has a power budget and with high speed RAM the power budget is hit, resulting in throttling of the CPU.
                  Details are in this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2mXS3xEok
                  In our opinion this is kind of poor design. What is point of claiming to support high speed RAM if it might slow the machine down overall? Makes getting the optimal BIOS settings overly complex.

Comment

And other one

Problem:
                    RAM got slower in June 2021 on Intel CPUs (in some circumstances).

Solution / Cause:
                    Intel implemented some (more) CPU microcode changes to work around (more) security bugs.
                    Details are here
                    https://travisdowns.github.io/blog/2...-zero-opt.html
                    Impact is probably pretty small in real life software, but if you are doing regular benchmarks you might notice the machine getting slightly slower.

Comment

Problem:
                      2D score are really low even on high-end pc
                      Solution:
                      Disable G-SYNC in monitor not just nVidia control panel

I went from main score ~2300 to ~7000!

Deeper discussion in this post.

Comment

Working...
                      X