CPU Benchmarks Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Benchmarks Page

If I am posting this is the wrong area, please move my post to the correct area and then notify me.

Passmark's CPU benchmark page seems to be the ONLY currently updated page that offers speed comparisons between most of the latest processors. (but not all of them)

I have only a few requests to make the page more useful to tech types who are using these numbers to compare models of desktops, notebooks, and servers based on CPU performance since the jumble of processor numbers from Intel and AMD these days practically amounts to gibberish with no real meaning to use to compare processors.

First and foremost, why isn't there a processor search box right there on the http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ site so I can type in a processor name and have the appropriate chart come up with my processor highlighted. There seems to be a way to do it inadvertantly, but it's not a simple search box as one would expect. The Processor list is about as close as it comes but it's not quite as intuitive since you have to scroll down through the list trying to figure out the sort order.

Could you differentiate which of these benchmarks were performed by passmark and which of these benchmarks were user submitted. It is clear that some lesser processors show better scores than processors of the same class that are clocked higher, so I'd like to give more weight to the professional unbiased test results I'd expect from the passmark team.

Could you please try to make sure that all processor models still available from at least the last 3-5 years are listed somewhere in your charts since generally these are the processors in bargain and midrange systems. I found that several processor models of each class are missing even on current 2Ghz + models.

Could you label & highlight Overclocked systems so that it is clear that they are not "stock" CPU benchmarks.

Could you clearly differentiate when multiple processors(sockets) are being used and when multiple core CPU's are being tested. Right now the nomenclature being used is confusing. I assume you only have the ability to test the system as a whole and not test athe performance of a single processor or single core if more are in the system. ( I have systems available to me from 1 to 4 sockets with single to quad-core processors, and may soon be getting an 8 socket server).

Could you provide more information about each processor test listed if a person were to doubleclick (or hover) over the listed processor ? Especially details such as system model, chipset, RAM speed, etc.... I have a wide range of Hp servers to test and would like to be able to see comparable information from others.

Lastly, Do you have any downloadable software or a web page that would just run the CPUmark test so that purchasing the software would not be required to benchmark your system for submittal to passmark for the www.cpubenchmark.net site ? I would love to benchmark some of my servers for submittal, but can't justify the expenditure for each server I am willing to test. I just wanted to add to the cpubenchmarks.net results to that they are more complete.
    Last edited by ne1scott; Feb-11-2009, 08:24 PM.

First and foremost, why isn't there a processor search box right..
    It is technically complex. For the moment you can go to the CPU listing page and click on CTRL-F (on your keyboard) to search

Could you differentiate which of these benchmarks were performed by passmark...
    99% are submitted. We only have about 20 test machines.

But you should also read the graph notes. Are there are other factors that effect the results, like if users are running 32bit or 64bit Windows.

Could you please try to make sure that all processor models still available from at least the last 3 years are listed
    There are roughy 490 CPU types listed at the moment. Some CPU types were very low volume and rare, and there has been an explosion in model numbers over the last few years. I don't think we will ever get to 100% coverage.

Could you label & highlight Overclocked systems...
    We have a special chart just for overclocked systems. On the other charts we try and keep overclocked sytems out of the results.

Could you clearly differentiate when multiple processors(sockets)...
    The number of CPUs is presented in [square brackets]. The number of cores depends on the model number. So it should be clear. It is confusing becuase in real life it is confusing. Intel were nuts to call their CPU's Core, and Core 2, then make a Core 2 with 4 cores.

Could you provide more information about each processor listed if a person were to doubleclick (or hover) over the listed processor?
    It is technically complex with the current graphing package. And in some cases the spec's you suggest, like RAM speed, can not be displayed as there will be differences across the various samples of the same model CPU.

Comment

You've done a very good job getting the charts to where they are right now. I was using the tool to compare laptops available in stores and online and noticed processor models missing, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed.

I really do think a web page based quick CPUmark test could help you get more numbers submitted from more models. Having to pay to submit content to a site deters alot of people. I guess I should have planned it better and tested within the first 30 days. I assume a separate license would be required for each machine I test rather than installing it and uninstalling it on each server or running it from a USB drive or "U3" enabled flash drive. Most of my big server are running Redhat Linux. Any chance a Linux version or a USB/CD bootable version will become available so I could run CPUmark or the entire passmark suite during an outage window directly from CD/DVD/USB ? Otherwise Hiren's has the mini-XP environment that might work.

Comment

You don't need to purchase the software to submit baseline files if you do it during the 30 day trial period. There is no cost for doing a submission. And the submission process is even easier in PerformanceTest V7.

If your 30days of V6 have expired try the V7 beta release above. You can get another 30 days.

You can move the software between machines without multiple licenses.

Ideally we want all data in a baseline file, not just CPU data. Becuase 1) we want to compare whole systems and 2) We want to build up our Video and Hard drive graphs.

We have no short term plans for a Linux release.

You can use the 3rd party BartPE to boot Windows from a CD. But we haven't really tested this with PerformanceTest.

You can run the software from CD, or USB drive, if Windows is already running on the PC.

Comment

Working...
        X