Not enuff space to run disk test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enuff space to run disk test

ii HAVE TRIED ALMOST EVERY VERSION OF pmpt AND WHEN IT GETS TO THE WRITE TO DISK DISK IT FAILS - SAYS NOT ENUFF SPACE.
    1. i HAVE TRIED EVERY DIFFERENT OPTION IN THE 'PREFERENCES'.
    2. I HAVE READ MANY OTHER USERS HERE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
    3. I THOUGHT AT LEAST YOU WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BY NOW IN THE LATEST RELEASE.
    4. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.
    5. win7 64 bit intel core15 2400 80GB HDD 60GB free
    6. ANY IDEAS????

Last edited by john_a; Nov-13-2011, 09:16 AM. Reason: to add info

What version of PerformanceTest was the screen shot above taken from?
    You say you have Win7. But the screen shot looks like it was taken from XP?
    What drive was selected in the Edit / Preferences window in PerformanceTest when this screen shot was taken?
    What drive letter is the 80GB drive? What other drive letters do you have on this machine? (e.g. Network drives, USB drives, Virtual drives, etc..)

You say that many other users have this problem. But I am not aware of any user with this problem, and I have read every post in the forum for the last 10 years. So I think you are just making up a false claim on this point.

Comment

1. Version 1022. (Yes I know there's a later version 1024 I have it I thought by trying the earlier version it may perform as it is supposed to).
      2. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 HP Model 6755a - I know what sort of PC I have I can assure you. The reason it shows up in XP style is because in Advanced Options I selected "Adjust for best performance" - it actually makes a difference to the end score, however it displays in XP style. Yes, I've tried (normally I do) running it under normal operating conditions ie 'Let Windows Choose').
      3. The drive selected was drive C. I explained if you read my post I have tried all the different combinations in preferences Disk Drive Under Test - NONE work.
      4. The HDD is separated into two partitions. Disk C is the primary boot partition (80GB), the remainder of the drive is free space. (1Tb drive). I have an external Seagate drive, I've tried unplugging it - makes no difference. The rest are the standard Mass Storage Devices in device manager.
      5. Someone DID post exactly the same problem 6 - 12 months ago I remmeber it clearly because I thought at the time good on him bringing it up. It was you that responded in fact, told him to select C Drive in preferences, didn't work for him either. I'm surprised you have no recall whatsoever of the post, but then again you must answer so many etc etc. I'll find the post and put it up for your benefit.
      6. I highly resent you accusing me of making a 'false claim', I thought it was unprofessional at the least. Let's just leave that one at that.
      7. Would you like any additional screen shots or info? If so, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
      Last edited by john_a; Nov-13-2011, 09:15 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Version 1022. (Yes I know there's a later version 1024...
        The current version is actually V7.0 build 1025. But for this issue there should be no difference in behavior between 1024 and 1025.
        http://www.passmark.com/products/pt_history.htm

The rest are the standard Mass Storage Devices in device manager.
        How many drive letters do you have?

I highly resent you accusing me of making a 'false claim'
        So lets just call is a claim that had no basis in fact.

As an experiment can you try running the test on another drive, e.g. the external drive.

Also, as we don't really know what the issue is, can you run it in debug mode and send us the log. There might be something interesting in the log.
        http://www.passmark.com/support/ptdebug.htm

If none of that helps we might need to send you a special debug build.

Comment

OK I found the post describing my exact problem, 6 months old. LINK.

Test crashes when scanning my HDD

Originally posted by Curtisk228 View Post
          I just purchased my Passmark software & tried running the initial test. Everything runs fine until I get to my HDD. It says I don't have enough space on disk 6. I have a 1TB WD SATA 6 Gb/s. It's partitioned into 5 Different drives. The first is C:/ (of course) the next is F:/ then G:/ H:/ & I:/. I just went back to Partition Magic & noticed I have a space that's marked with an asterisk it's highlighted in blue and its labeled "Extended". It's 828 gigs (which I assume is the size of the 1TB drive after it was formatted) & it has no unused space. Its also marked as Primary. Could this be the cause of the benchmark test crashing when scanning my HDD? And if so, how can I delete it or work around it? Thanks in advance...
          Originally posted by passmark View Post
          You say that many other users have this problem. But I am not aware of any user with this problem, and I have read every post in the forum for the last 10 years. So I think you are just making up a false claim on this point.
          Anyway thanks for your reply I'll check all the things you've asked and get back later today.

Thanks again.
          Last edited by john_a; Nov-13-2011, 10:53 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Yes I had forgotten that old post. But the old poster never confirmed what drive he was testing. It was probably that going into the preferences window and picking a drive to test resolved his problem. As far as I know his problem was solved, and no other user has this issue.

This is not to say there is no problem. I am just saying there aren't any users we know about with this problem.

Update Jan 2012: Another user reported this problem and provided some additional details about the error, "there is not enough free disk space on drive 6". Which I think is the same as the case above.

I believe the problem provoking the error is corruption of the PerformanceTest executable file. Corruption might be the result of malware on your PC infecting executable files, low level disk corruption, downloading a hacked up copy of our software, some 3rd party "security" software on your PC modifying our software for unknown reasons.

Downloading and installing a clean copy of the software, from our web site, will I believe, resolve the most likely causes.

Comment

Working...
            X