High Score for all drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Score for all drives?

Hi All, I would like to find out what the reason could be that all my drives are giving me similar scores but they are completely different drives, i.e. RAID1 SSD benchmarks at 30820, RAID1 SAS benchmarks at 28 305, RAID1 SATA benchmarks at 30323, Single SATA benchmarks at 30355 and single SAS benchmarks at 29370. These vastly different drives should have vastly different scores should they not? They are all connected to a RAID controller and the OS is Server 2012 R2. Please help me understand this.

Maybe the test files are smaller than the storage on the RAID controller and the RAID controller ignores the request not to cache the files.
    i.e. you are mostly measuring the speed of the RAM cache and not the drives.

Try using the advanced disk tests in PerformanceTest and select a much larger test file.

Comment

Thanks for the reply David. I've poked around the advanced tests and even though it's file system is NTFS the Advanced Test tells me that it is unable to run because it can't read the C: drive's file system. All the other drives are NTFS as well and they can be read by the Advanced Test but they don't give me a benchmark score, just the stats of the drive. Any chance I can tweak the size of the test files in the Drive Benchmark test? Regards
      Craig

Comment

Could you please launch PerformaceTest in debug mode (https://www.passmark.com/support/ptdebug.htm), try to launch the advanced disk test and then send us a copy of the debug log files that are created.

No the benchmark test file sizes cannot be changed.

Comment

Hi Tim, thank you for your response. Attached is the debug log file of the attempted Advanced Drive test of the C: drive of the server in question.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, we have added some more debugging to the advanced disk test in this build, http://passmark.com/ftp/temp/petst_debug.exe. Could you please generate another debug log and send it to us (there should also be a SysInfoLog.txt file created as well). Could you also please attach a screenshot of the exact error message you're seeing.

Comment

Hi Tim, I installed the petst_debug.exe file onto the server but I can't tell if that .exe file overwrites the installed .exe file? Anyway I've run the test again and uploaded the log files and a screenshot of the error. Thsnkd for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that, we had been focusing on the Advanced Drive Test dialog and not the Drive Performance (two separate groups of tests) so the screen shot sorted this out. It looks like a call to get the file system type has failed (GetVolumeInformation) at this point for some reason on your system.

We have made some changes to default to assume NTFS in such a case so the test should continue. Could you please try this build and let us know how it goes, https://www.passmark.com/ftp/temp/petst_debug2.exe.

Comment

Hi Tim, Thanks very much for all your assistance. The petst_debug2.exe file worked so I'm now able to run the Drive performance test on the C: drive of the server in question. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X