• Very low 2D score in benchmark?

Hi,
    i've just ran passmark and here's my results

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran 2020-12-03 142706.png
Views:	7042
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	49318

I was wondering why the 2D score is so low?

My rig is :

I9 9900k (with IGPU disabled, if that matters)
    RTX STRIX 3090
    Gskill Trident Z 3466 / 32GO
    Seasonic Prime ULTRA 1000W Titanium

Thanks !

See this post to start with
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

Comment

My pc isn't slow in real life application, i run all games with high fps but i don't understand why this specific score is low, it has nothing to do with my pc running slow.

I looked at the topic but I don't see any answer to my question on this specific point, all my other scores are good as you can see

Comment

Most games are 3D and your 3D performance looks OK.

All the causes for slow 2D that we are aware of are covered in the post above.
        If it isn't one of those you'll need to do some investigation. Starting with looking at the individual 2D test results.

Comment

here's the details for the 2D score

Seems the one which are very low are
          image rendering
          image filters
          fonts and text are very average

Any ideas why?

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Maybe a device driver issue?

Comment

I had the exact same problem and figured out that it was caused by having GSync enabled, when i disabled it my 2D score went from 130 to 1000

Comment

@RustyLmn
                This is it! I had the same issue 249 with enabled G-Sync in monitor than disabled it and paff 1249!
                It really hurts the main score from ~2300 to ~7000!

@David (PassMark) software developers should fix that or add popout that when doing 2D tests G-SYNC need to be disabled in monitor because it's really affecting the score. When I just disabled it in nVidia panel it was a little higher but still worse than on my old pc build.

Comment

As far as we know there is no way to detect accurately (from an application) if G-Sync is active or not.
                  nVidia added it to their SDK, but the function never worked reliably.

Also, we don't see any good reason why G-Sync should block 2D rendering calls. The effect is just making applications run slower (as they spend a lot of time just blocking / waiting for the display to update).

Comment

I scored a 157, then I turned off G-Sync in the Nvidia settings. I scored a 170. Then I read that you also have to turn off any monitor settings, so I turned off the sync settings on my monitor as well, then I scored a 781... Still not what I was expecting but having G-Sync and Freesync enabled truly does impact the score.

Windows 11 Pro
                    Aorus Z690 Pro
                    Aorus GeForce 3080 Waterforce Xtreme WB 12G
                    Intel Core i5 12600K
                    Corsair Dominator 5600 32GB
                    Corsair XD7 Watercooling system

Comment

It is a complex situation. There is G-Sync and Freesync settings. But there are also v-sync setting and frame rate cap options. (and obviously some settings in the monitor as well).

Once the GPU frame rate is above the monitors refresh rate G-Sync should not have an impact in theory. But in practice many people have measured an impact, but then other people claim it only happens with some games and some video cards. These people might have instead been seeing the v-sync limit which comes into effect once the GPU frame rate is over the monitor refresh rate.

Some people also claim, "G-Sync locks the GPU frame rate to the upper limit of the monitor Freesync can bypass this and give you higher frame".
                      Other people claim, G-Sync is disabled if GPU frame rate is above the monitors refresh rate.

So it is all a bit murky.

There are also different graphic APIs (application programming interfaces) available in Windows. DirectX9,10,11,12, OpenGL, GDI, GDI+, DirectWrite, etc... It is also isn't clear if G-Sync is active for all of these.

Really needs a bit of a research project and a bunch of different hardware permutations to run all the tests and get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X