new Dual Core Opteron 180 compared to my old AMD 4000+ SAME RATING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Dual Core Opteron 180 compared to my old AMD 4000+ SAME RATING

I am a little concered here, it all started when a buddy sent me his Baseline for comparison.
    Just bought an Opteron 180 Dual Core CPU to replace my AMD 4000+ single core CPU. I did the bench mark and there was no change in speeds. I know they both have the same clock speed of 2.4ghz, but I thought dual core would make a difference in this test. Well to find out it does after my buddy sent me his Baseline of an AMD 3400+ Dual Core CPU that I can't even TOUCH. I even overclocked my Opty from 2.4ghz to 2.7 and still NOT EVEN CLOSE, and only a little higher then my old overclocked 4000+.
    My CPU Mark is 554, thats with overclocking the fsb to 225.

I am showing 2 cores, I did install AMD's Dual Core optimizer and the AMD CPU drivers. Latest BIOS installed on my ASUS A8N32SLI-DELUXE motherboard. I always keep my PC up to date with the latest drivers.

Little help, did I forget to install something?

I am not sure which version of PerformanceTest you are using, but some of the older versions didn't detect dual core CPUs. In this case you need to go into the Edit / Preferences window and manually set the number of processes.

If you have a single CPU with dual core, set the number of processes to 2.

If for example, you have a dual CPU with dual core and Intel hyper threading, set the number of processes to 8.

Comment

Problem solved, thank you very much.

Now my CPU score is 1035.2 with a bunch of apps running.

Comment

Now another ??

Now my question about 2 video cards. Since I installed another 7800GT for SLI performance the simple and medium tests are much worse, while the complex test is a little higher. All 2D test have dropped significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by fatray View Post
          Now my question about 2 video cards. Since I installed another 7800GT for SLI performance the simple and medium tests are much worse, while the complex test is a little higher. All 2D test have dropped significantly.
          That's been true for me on several SLI systems and several benchmarks, including Performance Test 6, PCPitstop, and the 2D tests in PCMark05. In addition, I found that a single Geforce 7900 GT scores significantly higher than a single Geforce 8800 GTX, even with the 8800 running at higher clock speeds. I can't remember the Performance Test 2D scores, but one or two Geforce 8800 GTXs score under 100 on the PCPitstop test and one Geforce 7900 GT scores just under 600.

However, SLI makes a big difference in 3D tests like 3DMark06, where one or two Geforce 8800 GTXs score about twice as high as one or two Geforce 7900 GTs.

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes up with a video card with separate processors and processing modes for 2D and 3D so the same card can get equivalent scores in 2D and 3D tests and processing.
          Mike

Comment

We have been very unimpressed with SLI. When it was released it was just a gimmick to sell a few extra video cards. It made your machine unstable and didn't improve the speed for most applications. And even decreased it in some case.

Things are slightly better today, but not much.

See also these old posts
            http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234
            http://www.passmark.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306

Comment

Working...
            X