CD-Maker and Performance Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-Maker and Performance Test

I notice a wide variation in CD related performance tests, depending on the CD I happen to have in the drive at the time (I run Perf. Test 6 x64). I was going to ask about a feature to add the ability to burn a test CD from Performance Test, but noticed your free CD-Maker download.

Would this be a good use of CD-Maker -- to use as a Performance Test baseline CD?
    Windows XP x64 Pro, AMD FX-8350, Kuhler h2o 920 cooling, 16 GB sys mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 760 OC Driver 320.49 (7/01/2013) Rosewill Bronze 1000w PS

Yes.

CD-Maker doesn't actually burn a CD for you. It just creates a standard set of files. You need to use the built in Window XP function or 3rd party CD burning software to actually get the files onto a CD.

Unfortunately not everyone is using a CD like this. So there is a lot of variation due to the selection of various discs.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      Unfortunately not everyone is using a CD like this. So there is a lot of variation due to the selection of various discs.
      Wouldn't there be variations depending upon the media used to create the CDs even if the content were the same?
      Mike

Comment

Probably some yes. But I think the drive and the disc contents are more important for read speed than the disc itself.

Comment

Thanks. I use Performance Test to check my computer after major updates, just to see if anything has changed drastically, especially after a winXP x64 or graphics driver update.

I'm not that interested in seeing how high a score I can get -- just a stable running system with scores that are reasonable with my hardware/software.

Anyway, I created the CD and will use it as my baseline now.

By the way, I noticed a slowdown in CPU Compression since going to 6.1. Should that be expected?
          Windows XP x64 Pro, AMD FX-8350, Kuhler h2o 920 cooling, 16 GB sys mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 760 OC Driver 320.49 (7/01/2013) Rosewill Bronze 1000w PS

Comment

The V6.1 result for compresssion should be roughly the same as in V6.0. Did you repeat the test a couple of times to see if it was a one off result?Did anything else in the system change between test runs?

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
              The V6.1 result for compresssion should be roughly the same as in V6.0. Did you repeat the test a couple of times to see if it was a one off result?Did anything else in the system change between test runs?
              Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I can't remember if I had the AMD "Cool 'n Quiet" utility running when I did the older baseline. All my CPU scores were better under this last 6.1 run except CPU Compression was 10% lower.

I did add 2GB of memory for a total of 4GB (all the same brand and specs.)

Anyway, no big deal -- just curious.

Comment

Working...
              X