Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIT 6 - Failed to start a memory test process.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIT 6 - Failed to start a memory test process.

I'm receiving this error on a few units here in the depot. So I looked up the information in the BIT documentation.

Failed to start a memory test process
    In the Multi-Process Torture Test, one of the test processes failed to start. This is normally due to insufficient system resources and is not specifically a RAM error. Check and possibly reduce the "Torture test settings" in Preferences->RAM
    But I'm not using the torture test setting. I'm using the normal test setting. I restarted the PC and even used a HDD with a fresh OS, to see if it was indeed due to low resources. Both still failed.

Now I'm running another memory test (MemTest) to double check the memory. But so far everything is fine.

Any ideas?

*Edit: both MemTest passed just fine
    Last edited by JohnDorian; Feb-07-2012, 09:45 PM.

This is a rare error. Which version of BurnInTest are you using e.g. 6.0.1031? What Operating system are you running on?

As you observed, this error can occur with the Standard memory test (from V6.0 of BurnInTest) - we will update our documentation. This error indicates the test (or at least part of the test) couldn't be started. It does not mean there is a memroy error.

There are a number of reasons why the BurnInTest memory testing processes (memtest.exe) can't start be started. Further information should be shown in the log file, e.g
    "Unable to start memory test process"
    "Unable to configure interface with memory test process"

What does the log show?

Is there anything that may be preventing the "memtest.exe" process from running, like some type of security software?

If you have not already, I woudl uninstall BurnInTest and re-install it, and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
      This is a rare error. Which version of BurnInTest are you using e.g. 6.0.1031? What Operating system are you running on?

As you observed, this error can occur with the Standard memory test (from V6.0 of BurnInTest) - we will update our documentation. This error indicates the test (or at least part of the test) couldn't be started. It does not mean there is a memroy error.

There are a number of reasons why the BurnInTest memory testing processes (memtest.exe) can't start be started. Further information should be shown in the log file, e.g
      "Unable to start memory test process"
      "Unable to configure interface with memory test process"

What does the log show?

Is there anything that may be preventing the "memtest.exe" process from running, like some type of security software?

If you have not already, I woudl uninstall BurnInTest and re-install it, and try again.

Hey Ian,

We do not install BIT, but instead run it from a USB flash drive. I tried multiple flash drives on multiple HDDs. Unfortunately, I no longer have the log file but will try to obtain one if this issue occurs again.

Originally, I thought this issue was caused by a third party program like you mentioned. We've had issues like this in the past. Sometimes Norton, Zone Alarm, Kasperksy and others, would prevent the memtest.exe executable and other executables, from opening. But I disabled all security and even ran it on a "Gold" HDD. Our Gold HDDs are known good HDDs without a bare OS, so there's nothing on it that could cause the problem.

We can't keep these PCs long, so I instructed my guy to just bypass the memory test since MemTestx86 passed on both of them.

What's strange is, we had this error on 4 other units too. But usually, when this occurs, restarting the test or rebooting and then restarting works without fail.

Finally, the specific version of BIT that we're running is 6.0.1030.0.

Comment

What Operating System were you testing on?

Thanks for the feedback. If you see the problem again, please let us know.

Comment

What Operating System were you testing on?

Thanks for the feedback. If you see the problem again, please let us know.
          It was on Windows 7 and we might have another one today. I'm having my tech pull the log soon.

*Edit: We have two more. I should have the logs soon.
          Last edited by JohnDorian; Feb-08-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

There's not a whole lot to the log file, but I've pasted it below.

PassMark BurnInTest Log file - http://www.passmark.com
            ================================================== ======

Date: 02/08/12 15:31:44

BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1030
            (64-bit)Logging detail level: Result summary

SYSTEM SUMMARY
            Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 build 7601 (64-bit),
            1 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz,
            7.9GB RAM,
            Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics,

CD-RW/DVDRW,

GENERAL
            System Name: HP-HP

CPU
            CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
            CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
            CPUID: Family 6, Model 2A, Stepping 7
            Physical CPU's: 1
            Cores per CPU: 4
            Hyperthreading: Enabled
            CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 DEP PAE Intel64 VMX Turbo AES AVX
            Clock frequencies:
            Measured CPU speed: 1996.0 MHz
            Base Clock: 100.0 MHz
            Muliplier range: Min: x8, Max non turbo: x20
            Cache per CPU package:
            L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB
            L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB
            L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB
            L3 Cache: 6 MB

MEMORY
            Total Physical Memory: 8140MB
            Available Physical Memory: 6318MB

RESULT SUMMARY
            Test Start time: Wed Feb 08 15:31:45 2012
            Test Stop time: Wed Feb 08 15:31:52 2012
            Test Duration: 000h 00m 07s

Test Name Cycles Operations Result Errors Last Error
            Memory (RAM) 0 0 FAIL 1 Failed to start a memory test process.
            2D Graphics 0 0 FAIL 1 No operations during test period
            3D Graphics 0 965 PASS 0 No errors
            Optical disk (E 1 296288 PASS 0 No errors
            Disk (C 0 224 Million PASS 0 No errors
            TEST RUN FAILED

SERIOUS ERROR SUMMARY FOR THE LAST TEST RUN
            SERIOUS: 2012-02-08 15:31:53, 2D Graphics, SERIOUS: No operations during test period (x 1)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Ian,

We have 4 more failures today. Do you want the logs for each one or will this one suffice?

Comment

The additional error logging about this problem is not included as you have the "Result summary" logging level set. Could you please change this to "Normal" in Preferences->Logging and post the log file. I only need one log file. Thanks.

Comment

The additional error logging about this problem is not included as you have the "Result summary" logging level set. Could you please change this to "Normal" in Preferences->Logging and post the log file. I only need one log file. Thanks.
                  OK. We'll have to wait and see if another one fails today, which I think at least one will. I keep the configuration files on the server and I'e just updated them with the normal logging, so we should get the details you need.

Comment

My tech just got in and he gave me some good news. He said that last night, one of the testers had this issue. So he formatted his USB flash drive and copied the test package from the server onto the newly formatted USB. Apparently, it worked on all 4 units without fail.

With that being said, is there some temporary files written to the application directory that may have gotten full?

Comment

Here's the Normal log.

PassMark BurnInTest Log file - http://www.passmark.com
                      ================================================== ======

Date: 04/04/11 12:47:34

BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1030
                      (64-bit)Logging detail level: Normal

SYSTEM SUMMARY
                      Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 build 7601 (64-bit),
                      1 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz,
                      3.9GB RAM,
                      Intel(R) HD Graphics Family,

CD-RW/DVDRW,

GENERAL
                      System Name: DEBBIE-HP

CPU
                      CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
                      CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
                      CPUID: Family 6, Model 2A, Stepping 7
                      Physical CPU's: 1
                      Cores per CPU: 2
                      Hyperthreading: Enabled
                      CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 DEP PAE Intel64 VMX AVX
                      Clock frequencies:
                      Measured CPU speed: 2195.4 MHz
                      Base Clock: 100.0 MHz
                      Muliplier range: Min: x8, Max non turbo: x22
                      Cache per CPU package:
                      L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB
                      L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB
                      L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB
                      L3 Cache: 3 MB

MEMORY
                      Total Physical Memory: 4044MB
                      Available Physical Memory: 2348MB
                      DETAILED EVENT LOG
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:34, Status, PassMark BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1030
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:35, Status, Main Tests started
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:35, CPU, SSE4a test(s) selected, but CPU feature not detected
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:35, 3D Graphics, 3D test starting: Duty cycle = 100. Test on primary monitor (0). (x,y) = (533,273). WxH = 300x200.
                      WARNING: 2011-04-04 12:47:42, RAM, Failed to start a memory test process.
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:42, RAM, Unable to start memory test process
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:42, RAM, The system cannot find the file specified. (0)
                      LOG NOTE: 2011-04-04 12:47:45, Status, Test run stopped

RESULT SUMMARY
                      Test Start time: Mon Apr 04 12:47:34 2011
                      Test Stop time: Mon Apr 04 12:47:44 2011
                      Test Duration: 000h 00m 10s

Test Name Cycles Operations Result Errors Last Error
                      CPU 1 11.922 Billion PASS 0 No errors
                      Memory (RAM) 0 0 FAIL 1 Failed to start a memory test process.
                      2D Graphics 0 74 PASS 0 No errors
                      3D Graphics 0 467 PASS 0 No errors
                      Optical disk (F 1 358573 PASS 0 No errors
                      Disk (C 0 20.447 Million PASS 0 No errors
                      TEST RUN FAILED

SERIOUS ERROR SUMMARY FOR THE LAST TEST RUN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Maybe the memtest.exe process had not been copied to the UFD, or maybe it had become corrupted on hte UFD. Glad to here the problem is solved.

Comment

Maybe the memtest.exe process had not been copied to the UFD, or maybe it had become corrupted on hte UFD. Glad to here the problem is solved.
                          Well, it's not really solved. This is a band-aid, not a solution. I was hoping to receive more information about how I could prevent it from occurring rather than waiting for it to fail.

Maybe MemTest was corrupted, but it was definitely there. I will have my tech check and see next time.
                          Last edited by JohnDorian; Feb-09-2012, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Please, if you see this again, send us the log file with the "Normal" logging level set. Thanks.

Comment

Please, if you see this again, send us the log file with the "Normal" logging level set. Thanks.
                              Ian,

The second log I posted was with the Normal setting.

Also, I had my tech only replace memtest.exe when this error occurred and eh said that fixed the problem.

So somehow their executables became corrupt. Since these USBs are run on so many different machines, I think it's likely that an antivirus corrupted them while trying to prevent them to run.

So I guess all I can do is programmatically replace the memtest.exe each time. But that seems a bit... much. Do you all have hashes of the exectuables? I would think that the corrupted executable would have a different hash. If that's the case, I can compare hashes before copying.

Comment

Working...
                              X