No announcement yet.

Trouble Indexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your patience. Would have been nice to get the log. We are really just guessing at possible reasons without it.

Here is something else to try.
    Copy the PST files from the disk image into a temp folder on your hard drive. Then index the files from your temp folder. (You can copy the files from the File Browser window in OSF).

Also, an alpha build of OSF V1.2 is now available.
    Can you download this new build and give it a go. There has been a lot of changes in the area of direct access to images and also some changes to the handling of PST files.
    http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...a-Beta-release

If this doesn't fix it then I think we will really need to get some logs from you.

Also can you let us know if the image contains multiple partitions? And you are indexing from a partition besides the first (partition 0) when you mounted the image?
    Last edited by Ray (PassMark); Aug-02-2012, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Hi David,

thank you for your support and the alpha. I´ll try the alpha and send the log to info [@] passmark.com. I`ll keep in touch.

best regards
      Horst

Comment

Hi Mark,

I did send the log to your e-Mail Address. I also tested the 1.2 Alpha. It did not solve the existing problem. I started the pgme as admin and tried to index the whole drive. (E:\Evidence\bm02\bm02.E01, Partition No 1).The pgme runs without any fault through the pre-scan step.

Best regards
        Horst

Originally posted by Forensik View Post
        Hi David,

thank you for your support and the alpha. I´ll try the alpha and send the log to info [@] passmark.com. I`ll keep in touch.

best regards
        Horst

Comment

This problem has be closed in V1.2. You can find current Alpha / Beta release here,
          http://www.passmark.com/forum/showth...a-Beta-release

The problem was a bug in the indexing process. It happened when indexing a disk image, using direct access mode and the partition being indexed was not the 1st partition in the image. The bug has been corrected in V1.2. Thanks for your help in resolving it.

Comment

I just experimented a couple problems that fall into the "Trouble Indexing" category ..
            1) The MP3info process, that seems is started when indexing encounters an mp3 file, crashes on some .mp3 files, windows gives a message about "wait for program or quit program .." and indexing is paused until i don't click "OK". Indexing is a long task that i tipically leave running overnight unattended so this can be a big problem ..
            2) Because of problem 1 i stopped indexing and started it again but first i manually removed .mp3 and some other extensions fron the list of file types to index but OSF ignored this and again started to pause with errors in MP3info process on some musical files

My environment is: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 8gb ram - OSF v1.2 alpha 2
            but i had these same problems with other versions too

Comment

I encountered an indexing problem today. Besides other options I checked E-Mail & Attachments for indexing. No emails were indexed, although there were two deleted PST-Files in the RECYCLER directory.

I was able to find the files by File Name Search searching for *.pst. But was not able to access the file with the internal viewer. OSF could not make a temporary copy of the file nor handle the PST-file as an outlook file.

Any ideas what happened here?

have a nice weekend

Comment

The MP3info process, that seems is started when indexing encounters an mp3 file, crashes on some .mp3 files
                Yes, I can imagine this is a problem. Can you E-mail us one of the offending MP3 files and we'll get it fixed. The MP3 format is actually a bit complex as there are a lot of minor variations to the format floating around.

Might be better to start a new thread for these specific problems. It will make it easier for others searching for a similar problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Forensik View Post
                  there were two deleted PST-Files in the RECYCLER directory.

My first guess would be that you aren't in fact looking at two PST files in the recycle bin.

When Windows moves a file into the recycle bin the file is renamed to a semi-random file name, and a new file with meta data is created. The meta data file has the same file extension as the original file. So the deletion of one PST file will result in two .PST files being in the recycle bin.

When you view this in Windows Explorer, this is hidden from the user. But you can see this in OSF. The file in the red box below is a meta data file. It isn't really a PST file. All the meta data files have a file size around 544 bytes.

However the other original PST file should be available to be indexed. I tested this here and didn't see any problem. See below.

Was there some type of error when you tried to view the file with the internal viewer?
                  Did you check the indexer log to see if there was some error reported by the indexer?

Comment

Hi All,

I purchased the software version 6 to indexing content of files exist in external drive but the software is not working properly while indexing got hung and give error of Zoom engine not responded. Hence indexing cannot be saved.

Please help me as I have to urgently use that software to provide report to someone. I have also marked you email guyz but still don't have any response over it.

Regards,
                    Pawan Kumar
                    +91-9213414604
                    pwnkmr42@gmail.com
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pawan, your Email was answered several hours ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X