Running BurnInTest from CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running BurnInTest from CD

We run Burn It from a CD that has been locally made with test files attached. If we run the test from a floppy, we don't get any CD read errors. Running the Burn-it program from the CD, however, produces multiple read errors.

Can the program be run from a CD that is also being tested, if so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Could you post the exact error messages that you are getting and information about your system. You can see the detailed error message from the View / Error log menu item.

In particular which O/S are you using, if the CD Drive is a CD-ROM or a CD-RW and if the disk is a CD-R or CD-RW.

-------
    David
    PassMark

Comment

The error that we receive is:

"Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading"

We have tried it with CD-R and CD-RW media and with XP OS. They all use a CD drive to read from.

I have tried it with only the CD-RW/DVD selected for testing and with various duty cycles selected. At first I thought that it was poorly recorded CDs. However, I have tried several writers and file configurations, from a CD that has only the Bit Pro software to one that has 650MB of test files. I even used the files from a CD that worked when we were using ver 2.2 and just replaced the Bit Pro files with the new version, same problem.

We would like to be able to insert the CD, run the test from the CD, including testing the CD/DVD and at completion only have to remove the CD. Thus there are no files left on the machine to be "cleaned".

We could run it from the floppy, but it takes too long to load.

Thanks for your help.

Foster
      Dedicated Computing

Comment

There might be additional error information in the detailed error log.

My guess would be that you have selected a CD test mode that is not compatible with the media you are using. For example you are trying to use the CD-Burning test with CD-ROM media.

What test mode do you have selected in BurnInTest for the CD and what version of BurnInTest are you using.

Some other comments,

For running from CD you should download the special BIT package that hasn't got an installer / unintstaller. See this page
        http://www.passmark.com/support/bit_faq.htm
        under the heading,
        "How can I setup BurnInTest to run from a floppy disk or CD/DVD under Windows"

You can also use a USB key drive as a replacement for a CD.

-------
        David

Comment

Just to be sure that I was using the correct files, as you suggested, I downloaded Bitpro.zip without installer/uninstaller and put it on a CD with our Key file. (ver 4.0 Pro Build 1014)

I set the CD-RW/DVD preferences as follows:

Selected:
          Drive letter: z: drive which was recognized as a CD/DVD
          Test mode: Data CD read and verify
          CD / DVD Test Configuration:
          Block removable storage autoplay default selected

I still received the error:
          CD/DVD,SERIOUS:Z:Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading

I tried various setting in Test configuration and duty cycles to include only selecting the CD/DVD for testing with the same results on numerous separate systems.

IF I run the tests from the floppy, there are no errors from the CD test which tells me that the CD media itself is error free.

What could we possibly be doing wrong with this setup?

Thanks for your help!!
          Foster
          Dedicated Computing

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Additional Info:

I just experimented furhter:

If I change CDs AFTER I load Bit.exe and then run the test, I do not receive any errors from the CD test. NO ERRORS from Cds that I DID receive errors from when run directly from that CD and left there to test from. Again, if I change the CDs out after I load Bit.exe, it doesn't matter what CD I put in, even Cds that I previously received errors from run OK. But I have to change the CDs out before I can run the test.

Foster

Comment

It might be that the test fails because it tries to open the bit.exe file on the CD, but this file is already open (because bit.exe is being executed).

Normally this should not be an issue on a CD because the files are only open for reading. But we will investigate this further.

We do not recommend removing the CD from which the BurnInTest executable is still running. I think you are asking for problems doing this.

Another temporary solution would be to copy the BIT files from the CD to a temp directory on your hard drive, and then start BIT from the hard drive. (or from a USB key drive).

We will let you know the result of the investigation.

-------
              David

Comment

Thank you for looking at this. We thought that the problem may be that the program was trying to open the Bit.exe as well. However, since we had no problems with version 2.2 we (I) felt that it was something that we were doing wrong.

In the mean time, I have a batch file on the CD that copies the files to a folder on the hard drive and runs it from there. This is a temporary solution in that we worry that someone will forget to delete these files prior to packaging of the product.

Perhaps you have a suggestion that would automatically delete these "working" files after the tests are completed?

At any rate, thanks again, please post information as you investigate this "irregularity" in the program.

Foster
                Dedicated Computing

Comment

re: Running BurnInTest from CD

A new version of BurnInTest, V4.0 1017, has been produced. This improves the handling by the CD test, when BurnInTest is run from the CD that is being tested.

In particular, if an error is received trying to open the bit.exe file on the CD, this file (and only this file) is skipped as it is unavailable for testing (as BurnInTest is running and using this file). The file name related to the CD error is now also logged.

Best regards,
                  Ian
                  PassMark Software

Comment

I downloaded the new version, ensured that it was 1017 and I still have the same problem. Additionally, it doesn't log the name of the file that caused the error! Could I not be getting the corrected version for some reason?

Foster

Comment

Testing the CD that BurnInTest is runn

If it says build 1017 in the About window - then thats what it is.

Note that our testing showed a different error ("Error while reading file from CD/DVD") is displayed when trying to test the CD that BurnInTest is running from. We assumed (as we could not reproduce your problem) that this may also lead to the error message you received. However, I suspect your problem is something else. In saying this, the file name is written to the log for every case that the error "Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading" can occur. This will not appear on the main window, but on a second line in the detailed error log.

Could you please check the detailed error log. Do you see a line "Error .... file <filename>". Is the File one of yours or a BurnInTest file? (I suspect it is a non-BIT file that is in use).

Best regards,
                      Ian

Comment

I get two errors per cycle for the CD/DVD test:

CD/DVD, File: E:\Bit_Test\bit.exe, Block size: 4096, Offset: 0, Bytes read: 0, Error Code: 6
                        and
                        Error creating file E:\Bit_test\key.dat

As you can see, I have put the Bit files in their own directory so that I can quickly copy them to the HD to run the test without incurring any CD errors.

Thanks
                        Foster

Comment

Running BurnInTest from a CD under test

Oh, I see. A new build of BurnInTest has been produced (V4.0 101 to skip any read or open BIT.exe errors from the CD test in all cases and correct the problem with the other file.

Best regards,
                          Ian
                          PassMark Software

Comment

It appears that build 1019 has done the trick...runs from the CD just fine.....

Thanks everyone

Foster
                            Dedicated Computing

Comment

Hello,

We too are experiencing this problem, exactly the same error message
                              "Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading".

Any fix for users of V3.2 std build 1000 ?

We really would like to get this working when running from CD.

Regards,
                              Steve A

Comment

Working...
                              X