No announcement yet.

Running BurnInTest from CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V3.2 is an old version that we are no longer providing updates for. In this case you should be able to avoid the problem by first copying the BurnInTest progam files from the CD to the hard disk of the machine to be tested.

------
    David
    PassMark

Comment

Installing BurnInTest on a USB drive

We do not currently plan to upgrade V3.2. The approach I would recommend in order to test all CD drives on a PC using a version of BurnInTest that is not installed on the PC, would be to install the zip version of BurnInTest (see our FAQ) onto a USB drive (as per installing BurnInTest to a CD) and run BurnInTest from the USB drive. This has the added advantage, that log files can be written to the USB drive.

Regards,
      Ian
      PassMark

Comment

We have now successfully got BIT running from a WinPe CD. This is great as we now pre-test units prior to any OS being installed!

All tests run successfully except the CD test for the reasons given in this thread, "Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading" after about 12 minutes.

We are running v3.2. We will upgrade to V4 if you can confirm that the CD tests will run ok in this environment (boot from WinPe CD). Will V4 accept cfg files made from V3.2 ?

A quick secondary question, will you consider a hard drive test that does not require a fomat on it ?

Regards,
        Steve A

Comment

I have downloaded V4 Build 1019 demo to compare with our licensed V3.2 build 1000.

When running from cd I still get the error " Could not open file on CD/DVD for testing". This happens after 815million ops. I am only testing CD for this experiment @ 100% duty cycle. Failed after 5m 17sec.

From this this thread I was expecting this to work in the new version, am I correct in this assumption?

Am I doing anything wrong with my test setup. It is running under XP Pro SP2.

Also V4 appears not to be compatible with our V3.2 cfg files, as I have many of them any tips for easy migration?

UPDATE: I ran the same tests again and it is now working! One cycle was approx 1.5 billion ops.
          I shall continue testing in the restricted 15min time periods but I would still appreciate Passmarks input here. Are the files it reads to test with different each cycle ?We only wish to upgrade to V4 for the cd test to work when run from CD.

Note: I believe my setup to be OK as it passes when running from HDD.

Regards,
          SteveA

Comment

Yes, the problem was corrected in V4. The CD test attempts to read the files from the CD to test if the CD is working. However if the BurnInTest executable file is being executed from the CD, the O/S would prevent the file from being opened. V4 should skip the bit.exe file on the CD now.

If you still have a problem with V4 then we will work to correct it. It should be OK however.

The files read from the CD should be the same for each test run, but remember that there are several different options in the preferences window for the CD test.

Becuase there are additional and changed options in V4.0 compared to V3.2, you should review your configuration files when using V4 to make sure they are still doing what you want.

-------
            David
            PassMark

Comment

Hello David & thank you for your reply.

I have again checked with the demo version V4.0 Std Build 1019 and get " Error opening file D:\Programs\BurninTest\bit.exe"

Because the demo runs for 15min, I set only Cd-Rw\DVD on @ 100% and evey other test was off.
              Summary was " CD\DVD Cycle:2 Op's: 2104 million Error:2 Could not open file on CD\DVD for testing"

Please advise if I need to change any settings, and I am happy to test any patches etc.

Regards,
              Steve A

Comment

Hello Passmark.

Is there any update to my mail of 6 Jan 2005 ?

Regards,
                Steve Allen

Comment

CD test - Filenames with Multibyte characters

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The current version of BurnInTest does not support test CDs that contain Multi-byte characters in the filenames (e.g. Japanese filenames). Could you please check that your CD does not contain such files.

Best regards,
                  Ian
                  PassMark Software

Comment

Hello

We have recently updated to BurnIn Test V5.1 and our intial testing confirms that the CD tests now run successfully under XP when running bit from CD.

It still fails under BartPe. Here is a section of the log:
                    CD/DVD (X 3 2.800 Billion FAIL 15 Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading
                    SERIOUS : 2007-01-31 21:34:12, CD/DVD, X: Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading
                    SERIOUS : 2007-01-31 21:34:12, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\default
                    SERIOUS : 2007-01-31 21:34:12, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\sam
                    SERIOUS : 2007-01-31 21:34:12, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\security
                    etc.

Have I missed something from your BartPe guide?
                    Can Bit be setup to skip these files.

Regards,
                    SteveA

Comment

We will change BurnInTest V5.2 (due in the next few days) to skip the following CD files when run from BartPE:

X:\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT
                      X:\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM
                      X:\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY
                      X:\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Regards,
                      Ian

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.
                        Are you indending ( or does it already do this) BurnIn Test to automatically detect that it is running under BartPe?
                        I will try it as soon as it is released. Will our V5.1 key also work for V5.2?

Regards,
                        SteveA

Comment

BurnInTest already detects that it is running under BartPE - but all this is used for is to change some of the information/warning message text.

A V5.1 key will work with V5.2.

Regards,
                          Ian

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
                            SteveA

Comment

Hello,

I have downloaded V5.2 and I am still getting the CD error when running from BartPE. Here is part of the log:
                              ================================================== ======
                              BurnInTest V5.2 Pro 1004
                              Logging detail level: Normal
                              SYSTEM INFORMATION
                              Network Name: MININT-89C199
                              Date: 02/14/07 02:42:03
                              Operating system: Unknown or new O/S build 2600
                              Number of CPUs: 1
                              CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
                              CPU type: Pentium III
                              CPU features: MMX SSE PAE
                              CPU1 speed: 598.4 MHz
                              CPU L2 Cache: 256 KB
                              RAM: 576 MB
                              Video card: (Resolution: 1024x768x

RESULT SUMMARY
                              Test Start time: Wed Feb 14 09:28:56 2007
                              Test Stop time: Wed Feb 14 09:41:26 2007
                              Test Duration: 000h 12m 30s
                              Test Name Cycles Operations Result Errors Last Error
                              CPU - Maths 155 8.180 Billion PASS 0 No errors
                              CPU - SIMD 121 6.922 Billion PASS 0 No errors
                              Memory (RAM) 1 1.371 Billion PASS 0 No errors
                              2D Graphics 222 1.449 Million PASS 0 No errors
                              Disk (B: RAMDisk) 513 216 Million PASS 0 No errors
                              Disk (C: ) 1 1.158 Billion PASS 0 No errors
                              CD/DVD (X 1 293 Million FAIL 4 Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading
                              TEST RUN FAILED
                              DETAILED EVENT LOG
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:28:56, Status, PassMark BurnInTest V5.2 Pro 1004
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:28:56, Status, Main Tests started
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:29:00, Disk, Drive C: SMART attribute data
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:29:00, Disk, Model WDC WD400BB-75FJA1, Serial# WD-WCAJC1426861
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:29:00, Disk, Power on hours count: 15366
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:29:00, Disk, Power cycle count: 209
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:29:00, Disk, Temperature: 34C
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:29:00, Disk, All other SMART attributes within thresholds.
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:37:51, Disk, C, SMART Reallocated Sector Count start value: 0, current value 0
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:39:59, CD/DVD, X: Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:39:59, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\default
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:40:00, CD/DVD, X: Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:40:00, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\sam
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:40:00, CD/DVD, X: Could not open file on CD/DVD for reading
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:40:00, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\security
                              SERIOUS : 2007-02-14 09:40:00, CD/DVD, Error opening file X:\I386\SYSTEM32\config\software
                              LOG NOTE: 2007-02-14 09:41:30, Status, Test run stopped
                              For test purposes only I am running BIT 5.2 from a network share location and V5.1 is still located on the CD but I do not see this being relevent.
                              Does it look as if I am doing everything as you expected?

Regards,
                              SteveA

Comment

Do you have any update on this?

Regards,
                                SteveA

Comment

Working...
                                X