Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of Motherboards with issues when running MemTest86 in multi-CPU selection modes

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-990FXA UD5-R5 m/b 5Gig 8 core AMD
    Runs single cpu mode on cpu 0 and cpu7
    else hangs. ctrl/alt/del won't even work.
    Will not execute if cache disabled on any cpu.
    Just paid for pro and it will not test the issues I wished for, mainly cache integrity
    as Win 10 event log lists cache problems as red flag errors.

Comment

Reduced 5gig cpu to 3.7gig clock, problems ceased. Extra money for performance wasted!

Comment

5Ghz clock speed was a pretty ambitious CPU overlock.
        Glad to hear the problem was solved however.

Comment

memtest86 failure

Originally posted by cowbawx View Post
          -Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming GT
          -BIOS "F6"
          -Intel i7-6700k

MemTest 6.3.0 Free

-Single Cpu - Runs fine on CPU0, all other CPUs goes to start the test and restarts right away
          -Parallel - Runs on CPU0 but says "[CPU Error] Could not start CPU 1-7"
          -Round Robin - runs the first 2 ests on CPU0 then hangs PC
          -Sequential - just like Round Robin

BETA BIOS F7b also does the same.

Comment

First post

This is a likely bug on the Asus STRIX X99 board, latest bios 0801. In parallel mode the test runs for about 10 seconds until PASS is about 16% complete, then the test just hangs.

Been running in single-core mode for well over 15 hours with no issues so far.

Comment

Niczo, what are the specs for the machine. What CPU? Is it overclocked? Are you sure the cooling is OK?

Comment

I am told that mine inability to run multiple CPUs is due to a dated UEFI version... still since others are having problems in this area I will mention that I was able to run all the available tests with 6.3.0 and 7.0.0, but I could not select multiple CPUs... they would only run as a single CPU... my system is an Late 2009 27" Apple iMac 11,1 2.8GHz Nehalem with 32GB RAM. I am placing this here just as additional info with no resolution expected.
                Last edited by rnsjunkmail; Jul-20-2016, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                  Niczo, what are the specs for the machine. What CPU? Is it overclocked? Are you sure the cooling is OK?
                  My specs are:
                  i7 6850K
                  Asus ROG Strix X99
                  Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz x4, "HX426C15FBK4"
                  GTX 980
                  Corsair H80i closed-loop water cooler
                  Corsair AX860i power supply

Temps are good, showing as 45 degrees celsius under Memtest86 and a maximum of 70C for the hottest core running Aida64 stability test and HWMonitor. CPU is not overclocked.

My particular board was released only a couple of months ago and is part of the "second wave" of X99 boards following the realese of the Broadwell-E line, so it's not really suprising there are a few kinks to work out. My system runs great otherwise.

Comment

ASUS released a new BIOS 3301(2016/07/25) for X99 boards but MemTest86 V7.0 in parallel CPU mode still freezes at the start of test #2 (see attached screenshot) with my X99-A MB. I guess the fix in M5A97-R20-ASUS-9001.CAP was not rolled out to other ASUS motherboards for the time being.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	34988
                    Last edited by SenH; Jul-27-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Can you send a copy of the MemTest86.log under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive.

We don't know their timeframe for releasing the BIOS fix, nor if they have propagated the change to other boards.

Comment

asus sabertooth x99 with 64gb ram
                        latest bios 3301, 6.03 works fine
                        version 7 will not even load the interface to test
                        hangs on detecting memory spd?

Comment

We are aware of a clock speed measuring bug in v7.0 that causes issues during MemTest86 startup. We are in the process of preparing a patch release that will hopefully fix this issue.

If possible, can you give this pre-release build a try:
                          http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest86-usb-7.0.1005.zip

If you can also post/upload the MemTest86.log file under the EFI\BOOT\ directory of the USB flash drive that would be great.

Comment

pre-release build works now on sabertooth x99 with i7-5820k,64gb ram

Comment

spoke to soon lol. made it to 38 seconds and locked pc
                              attached is log file

Comment

Thanks for the log. We have been getting several reports of Parallel mode issues on the ASUS X99 boards. We will contact them to see if they can get it resolved.

Comment

Working...
                                X