Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of Motherboards with issues when running MemTest86 in multi-CPU selection modes

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. My Asus X751MJ laptop passes the Single-CPU, Round-Robin and Sequential modes, but fails on the Parallel one, and the error address is always 0. I experience regular lockups on Linux, so does that mean there's something wrong with my hardware?

Here is the report: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...27865461145894
    Last edited by shdown; Aug-05-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

The issue seems similar to this forum post:
      http://www.passmark.com/forum/memtes...2887#post32887

The problem appears to be solved by enabling CSM in the BIOS setup.

Comment

Yes, now that I enabled CSM, the errors have gone away. Hoping lockups will do so... Thanks!

Comment

I can confirm that it's something wrong with the Asus X99 mothersboards. My doesn't pass the test either using the parallel option and it gets stuck at 16% on the first test.

Choosing the single option make it work for several hours but sometimes memtest hangs on the hammerstest on the third pass with two errorfree passes. Turning CSM on and off didn't do anything for me.

Comment

-Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
            -BIOS "F4" & "F5e (BETA)"
            -Intel i5-6500

MemTest 7.1 Free

-Single Cpu - Runs fine on CPU0, all other CPUs goes to start the test and restarts right away
            -Parallel - Runs on CPU0 but says "[CPU Error] Could not start CPU 1-3"
            -Round Robin - Immediately restarts on first test attempt
            -Sequential - just like Round Robin

MemTest 7.1 Free

Comment

Asus just released a BIOS update 1003 for the ROG Strix X99 Gaming. Does it fix Test 2 crashing in parallel mode? Currently I'm using BIOS version 801 and wanted to know if it's worth to update it.

Comment

Only way to know if the problem is fixed is to test it.

Comment

add another Asus X99 motherboard to the list, Asus X99-E-10G WS.
                  Memtest86 7.1 freezes on Step 2 in Parallel CPU mode.
                  In single CPU mode (I tried Round Robin and Sequential) Memtest86 makes several loops (13 tests) without errors.

Motherboard: Asus X99-E-10G WS
                  BIOS: ver. 0403 (released on 2016/08/17, the only available so far, no updates were released yet)
                  CPU: Xeon E5-1650v3
                  Memory: 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4 ECC Registered (Micron 2RX8 PC4-2133P-REP-10)

added: Stock clocks/voltages (no overclocking)
                  Last edited by genpix; Sep-30-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

can i make apost here? (all my previous attempts failed)
                    ok, never mind.
                    looks like I'm not allowed to post in this forum...
                    what is this forum for then (if it is not to help)?

Comment

Originally posted by genpix View Post
                      can i make apost here? (all my previous attempts failed)
                      ok, never mind.
                      looks like I'm not allowed to post in this forum...
                      what is this forum for then (if it is not to help)?
                      Sorry, forum moderation has been turned on due to recent rash of spam posting. Posts need to be approved before they are visible. Thank you for your contribution.

Comment

sorry for my mumbling (I was not aware that forum moderation was a temporary thing)

Comment

How bad...

bought the pro version because i want to test my new System fully...now after the test stops - i found this thread and my mobo seems to be one of the problem boards too:

ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10 - Bios 1003
                          Kingston HyperX Savage DIMM Kit 128GB, DDR4-2666, CL15 (HX426C15SBK8/12
                          Intel Core i7-6950X

Hope you and Asus can find a solution..
                          Last edited by Mappi75; Oct-04-2016, 04:20 PM.

Comment

That's unfortunate to hear. We have been slowly informed of updated BIOSes for specific motherboards but still have a significant number of motherboards that have yet to be addressed. From our last contact, they mentioned that they were looking at the X99 boards but have yet to hear back from them.

By chance, do you still have the MemTest86.log from the last test run. You can find the file under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB drive.

Comment

Update:
                              We chased up ASUS about their progress in fixing the UEFI BIOS bug on X99 motherboards.

Their response was,
                              "[ASUS] HQ is not planning apply global solution to all affected models. If critical problem found with some model (like Memtest didn't run at all) we can place request to fix it, but not when multi CPU mode fail only. I'm sorry that I haven't better news for you."

So it looks like they aren't planning on fixing it for all their boards. Only solution is to run in Single thread mode if problems are encountered.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Done on :

- I7 6700K 4ghz
                                - Asus Z170-A Bios / 2202.
                                - Asus Z170 pro gaming / Bios 2003.
                                - Gskill Trident Z 2x8GB 3000Mhz
                                - Kingston Value RAM 2 x 4 Ghz 2133Mhz

If you set up on the bios Active core "1" No problem on everytest. When All Core are enabled :

- Single CPU (Cpu 0) No problems
                                - All CPU (CPU 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . Many Errors (got more than 2 000 000) / reboot / Freeze :
                                - Parallel
                                - Round Robin
                                - Sequential

Comment

Working...
                                X