Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List of Motherboards with issues when running MemTest86 in multi-CPU selection modes

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @David,

I reran the MemTest86 v8.4 Pro build version 1001 in Single CPU mode with the suggested CPU #1 (rather than CPU #0).

In this attempt, I tried limiting the DIMM count to 1 and I still encountered the hang.

The Supermicro BIOS version 2.1 was released 5 months ago (in February 2020).

I’ve attached the new log files with the corresponding screenshot of the last time updated. I am unable to post the other screenshot unless I create a double forum post.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Hello,

I was running memetest v8.4 on my Asus Crosshair VII hero trying to find why I get random freeze. And on the last pass, I got this error:

[UEFI Firmware Error] Could not start CPU 15

Not sure I can get some logs. It just started back on the Test 13, pass 4 after a few minutes "sleeping" I think

Comment

• You can add me, been tearing my hair out over this and glad to finally know what the problem is.
        • ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
        • AMD FX-9590
        • Crashes PC when attempting to run in Parallel and other multi CPU modes. Test runs perfectly fine in single CPU mode and the initial tests on CPU 1 in the multicpu modes run fine and when it goes to run tests after "own address 1 CPU" crashes consistently. I also crash outside of Memtest86 but under the same circumstances (simultaneous multi core and heavy RAM usage). Tested with all except cores 1 and 2 disabled and always crashes in multicpu tests. But runs fine with two CPUs enabled.

Comment

• lilloog, what BIOS firmware version are you running? And can you post the log with the lock up in it. Then we can either blacklist the motherboard and/or ask ASUS to fix it.

Comment

• Believe that two of the Supermicro motherboard I'm using are having this issue as well.

X10SAE and the X10SLH-F

Both boards have their BIOS updated with the last versions, 3.2 and 3.3a respectively. They both run a Xeon E3 1231 v3 and 32 GB of 18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1.

Running the test is parallel causes the system to freeze; however this only occurs after 30 hours of running the test, which I understand is quite long, but the test proceeds fine in single CPU mode and no memory errors occur in either mode, the system just becomes completely unresponsive. I also experience system hangs on other OSes.

Both file is too big to upload, so I've included a link to download them:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/um5816k6z...6pr4j6lga?dl=0

If it determined that this issue is caused by something else then I will move to another thread.

Comment

• If it only fails after 30 hours it sounds more like hardware failure of some sort. (there is more load on the system in multi-threaded mode than single threaded).

Comment

• As of today I have replaced every component in the server, RAM was oddly enough the last thing I replaced and after running the test for another 30 hours I once again hanged with the same messages in the log file.

2021-02-20 05:43:14 - RunMemoryRangeTest - CPU #2 timed out, test time = 0ms (BSP test time = 6273ms)
                2021-02-20 05:43:14 - RunMemoryRangeTest - CPU #4 timed out, test time = 0ms (BSP test time = 6273ms)
                2021-02-20 05:43:14 - RunMemoryRangeTest - CPU #6 timed out, test time = 0ms (BSP test time = 6273ms)

Repeated through out the log file until it freezes.

Comment

• There's also a likely possibility that there is a bug in the UEFI firmware, such as a resource leak related to multiprocessing.

It may be worth contacting Supermicro support to look into it (though not sure how much time they are willing to spend to investigate/debug the issue as in the past they haven't been very responsive)

Comment

• Originally posted by keith View Post

The MB has been added to the list.

By chance do you still have the MemTest86.log file that we can take a look at?
                    Can you guys please finally add the X9SRA to the MP black list? Same issue still present in current 9.1 build 1000, four years later. Adding the "X9SRA/X9SRA-3" line to the black list file solves the power-off issue, but this is a hard thing to do when using the image file directly with Ventoy instead of dd'ing it to a dedicated flash drive.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bzzz View Post

Can you guys please finally add the X9SRA to the MP black list? Same issue still present in current 9.1 build 1000, four years later. Adding the "X9SRA/X9SRA-3" line to the black list file solves the power-off issue, but this is a hard thing to do when using the image file directly with Ventoy instead of dd'ing it to a dedicated flash drive.
                      "X9SRA/X9SRA-3" has been added to the blacklist.

Seems that we didn't add it last time, or it was accidently removed.

Comment

• I think my motherboard also needs to be added to the list. I can only run MemTest86 in single processor mode (cpu 0) because it froze once and rebooted once on test #3 (first pass) when using all of them. Here is the log for both failures. I was using MemTest86 v9.0 at the time. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I used version 9.2 for the test that completed (single processor, no memory errors).

Motherboard: MSI MS-17EK rev. 1
                        BIOS: American Megatrends E17EKAMS.101
                        CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by krona View Post
                          I think my motherboard also needs to be added to the list. I can only run MemTest86 in single processor mode (cpu 0) because it froze once and rebooted once on test #3 (first pass) when using all of them. Here is the log for both failures. I was using MemTest86 v9.0 at the time. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I used version 9.2 for the test that completed (single processor, no memory errors).

Motherboard: MSI MS-17EK rev. 1
                          BIOS: American Megatrends E17EKAMS.101
                          CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
                          Thanks for letting us know.

Can you try adding the following to the blacklist.cfg file

Code:
                          "MS-17EK",ALL,EXACT,RESTRICT_MP

Comment

• Hello

i have a motherboard Asus Prime Z490-P with the version of Memtest Site 8.4, in the moment to load the configuration of memtest the black screen freeze in "Testing Multiprocessor suppor, something know the configuration for this MB

Regards

Comment

• Ivan Zuniga,

We aren't aware of a problem with the Z490-P. Can you try V9.2 (instead of V8.4) and see if you still have the problem. If you do can you Email or post a debug log file.

Comment

• Hello David

thanks for your reply

I am using the version of memtest site 8.4 to carry out the process through the network, in the other models it works without problems only on the Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, it stays on a black screen "Testing Multiprocessor support" and the test does not advance, I don't know if I have to make any changes in the blacklist or in Mt86

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X